• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Location services required for BT connections?

A

Android Question

OK, I get that this was implemented in 6.0 as a "fix" to apps being able to determine location information while scanning for Bluetooth devices. fair enough, however, it seems this only made the problem worse. Would it not have been better to simply implement a pop up message stating "scanning for devices may allow some applications to determine location information" and give us the option to "never show message again"? As it stands, we are forced to open ourselves to the very issue this was implemented to make us aware of. Seems short sighted to me, unless Im missing something (most likely).

So my question then, does anyone know if this will be changed in future updates? I am using a Galaxy S5 (Tmobile), rumor is that I will not get 7.0 when it releases. I would really like a solution to this as it is a rather large inconvenience to enable and disable location services several times a day. Forgetting and leaving it on kills battery pretty badly and im a bit paranoid about the whole location information thing. I'm pairing with a Garmin 220, Galaxy Fit2 and using garmin connect mobile.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones