• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Location Turning Itself On

azolnierek

Oct 28, 2016
With my LG V20, the location keeps turning itself on. It seems to happen after I turn on wifi-calling, but sometimes it happens randomly. I also notice it often happens after I turn my phone off and on while it is in airplane mode. I turn on GPS about once a month, so it's not that important to me, but it drains the battery. Any advice on how to stop this? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

so what carrier are you on? it might actually be directly a function of wifi calling in that accepting to use it allows the carrier to see where you are using it? IE to help them figure out where their equipment is unreliable.

another thought might be what do you use for weather applications? what do you have setting wise for location?

If it's purely a power draw concern - gps and locations doesn't take up much in general. even better the V20 and other devices on the new 820 chip family have a lower power location system option available. Again in the location options you'll see something called qualcomm LTz or or something like that.

if it's a location security concern - then I get that too and suggest you verify that all your apps are location dumb - and then force GPS off and Location off - because it can do location via cell tower. And you can turn it off - but it's going to keep coming back with ever power cycle because modern phones are set to keep location on upon boot for 911 services and the whole amber alert thing.

IE you can't forget to turn it back on and it will come on for you so your location can be pinged if you were abducted. thank you gubermint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones