• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop Camera Issue

I know the feeling. I completely factory reset my phone yesterday to try and get rid of an annoying reboot issue and today i still can't connect to the camera most of the time.

I read somewhere that disabling NuPlayer might help. But I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone had any luck with that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Android 5.0 was recieved & installed on my Nexus 5 phone back in mid December 2014. Suddenly my back camera & LED quit working. Retail T-Moblile employees diagnosed it as an equipment problem after performing a factory reset and ordered me a new Nexus 5 phone. The replacement Nexus 5 booted with Android 4.4.4 and keeps telling me every time I check for the latest system update that 4.4.4 is the latest update...which we all know is not true. Numerous support people at Google & T-Mobile have tried to get my device to update with NO success no matter what we try. Looks like to me that the new "Lollipop" update has caused so many unsolvable problems that Google is too afraid to send any kind of over the air android update to any Nexus 5 phone (brand new or not). The back camera & LED works under Android 4.4.4 but I think Google is too afraid to send me "Lollipop" out of fear that it will screw up my back camera & LED all over again on this newest device.

Upvote 0
My LED had some issues, and may still, but I attributed it to Light Manager not being up-to-date with Lollipop. It seems to work better after the app finally updated. The light always worked, just would act funky.

I'm not sure if my back camera has issues or not. I think it does, just not as bad as the front. It's hard to remember if I last used the front camera, because the camera app remembers and stays on the front camera, so it may be that each time it was on the front camera last. Trouble is that you can't go into the options to switch to back camera when the problem occurs. You have to reboot.

Upvote 0
It's not NuPlayer.

I've been back on KitKat for the last while, and just updated to 5.1 last night. I tried using the face unlock, and nothing. Saw that the front camera wasn't working again. RRRGGGHHHH!!!!! I didn't have ANY problems with KitKat, so it's got to be a software issue. Does hardly anyone take selfies?;)

Upvote 0
It's not NuPlayer.

I've been back on KitKat for the last while, and just updated to 5.1 last night. I tried using the face unlock, and nothing. Saw that the front camera wasn't working again. RRRGGGHHHH!!!!! I didn't have ANY problems with KitKat, so it's got to be a software issue. Does hardly anyone take selfies?;)

Are you sure it's not? I only ask because with 5.1 I believe NuPlayer is now the default option.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Now you're confusing me. When I had 5.0.1, I thought NuPlayer was default and I switched back to AwesomePlayer? Last night when I went to 5.1 I definitely switched off NuPlayer and this morning the front camera didn't work. I'll try NuPlayer again I guess.

EDIT: OK, maybe NuPlayer wasn't the default before, but I thought I had turned it off both times. I just turned it on and I'll see what happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones