• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop screwed me over

Hi all,

So frustrated! Here's the scenario: I have a Nexus 5 which had a logic board issue about a year ago and was no longer usable, so I switched to my Nexus 4.

I lost my Nexus 4 last week, and decided to repair my Nexus 5, but since it was almost a year since I last used it, I forgot the unlock pattern.

Here's the kicker: Since Lollipop, Google allows you to use the Android Device Manager (ADM) to lock your phone with a new password, but only if your phone was set with a PIN or password, but not with a pattern.

So, in effect, I can't reset my phone like before with versions 4.4 and prior.

If you are using a pattern lock, Google will just tell you that "Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password you entered won't be needed."

But if you are using a PIN or password Google will allow you to change the lock!

Now I understand that Google is trying to improve security, but this is bonkers. I can still reset my PIN or password using ADM, but not the pattern lock, which also happens to be the most insecure among those three unlock options.

What's the rationale or logic behind this decision? Will Google ever change this behavior in ADM or am I doomed to either continue guessing or to reset my phone? Is there any way around this? I've tried the USB debug method as well but sadly my device is blocked.

Back
Top Bottom