• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Long texts

Hello! When I try to send long texts, past 1 page. They turn into MMS, does this mean I'll have to pay extra for them if I have unlimited texts (not unlimited picture/video texts though)

CDMA devices have a text character limit of 160. I downloaded Handcent SMS, a free customization app for messaging, and it has an option in the settings to automatically split any message over 160 characters into two messages.

And yes, you would get charged for the picture message.

Is there any way to have the stock messaging app to split them instead of turning them into MMS? I used Handcent SMS for a while, but it ran really slow, so I switched back to the standard messaging app.

SMS (SHORT Message Service) messaging, by design, has a limit of 160 characters (including spaces), whether on CDMA or GSM. Some phones handle longer messages by splitting them up, while others convert a long message into an MMS (Multimedia Message Service). There are also phones that just won't do a message over 160.

If you have the Unlimited Messaging or Unlimited Family Messaging package, this should not present a problem. If you are on a limited text plan and pay as you go MMS, the long messages will cost you $0.25 each. Also remember, if you send to multiple recipients, that counts as multiple messages.

It should also be pointed out that SMS is a BAD choice for messaging other smartphone users. Email them instead, or if they're fellow Android users, use Talk (Google Chat). These count toward your data plan, not your messaging plan, but since they're plain text, they won't scratch much of a dent in the 5GB plan US Cellular offers.

Non-smartphones that can email, email as MMS and you would get charged, but a smartphone should not work that way.

rasmith -- can you confirm?

@DR, not quite sure what you meant, but I'll take a stab at it. Sending pictures via an email account should count as data, not MMS, even on Premium or Feature phones. If a non-smartphone owner has either the Mobile Internet package or Premium Mobile Internet, Mobile Email is included.

Unfortunately, unlike BlackBerry Messenger, it would appear that Google Talk does not allow for attachments. I do not believe there is a character limit on Talk though.

Back
Top Bottom