• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

looking for a free alternative to here map

Gaia

hi
i'm looking for a fre alternative to here map

that can store maps on my external sd like here map
that can work offline like here map
and maybe with a voice turn by turn Walk route

i'm thinking about OsmAnd (don't know if it features a voice turn by turn for walk route) :(

to use mostly in europe , wester europe

thanks
cheers
samsung s3

for me, it is a Hands Down choice.

* CoPilot GPS - Plan & explore! - Android Apps on Google Play

it will store all of the Map Data on your SD card, and once that is done, it will never use DATA again.

just make sure, that you go into Settings, and tell it SD card as the Default Storage Location BEFORE you do anything at all.

Then, make triple darn sure that DATA is turned OFF, and WiFi enabled...
it will take about 20 minutes to download all of the North American continent... which is about 2.6 gB

Once done though, you can preplan a fictitious trip from Vancouver, Canada to Mexico City in about 1 minute!!!

It can find all of the local Fast Food stores before you can get your fingers off the keyboard, er uh, phone's display...
it is that fast.

However, you can select only a very small region, your choice. Much smaller download sizes that way.

Last edited:
hi

i'm thinking about OsmAnd (don't know if it features a voice turn by turn for walk route) :(

thanks
cheers
samsung s3

Hi, I can suggest two which you could look at, both of which I use regularly. OsmAnd :-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus
which you are already considering certainly does have turn-by-turn navigation for walking. I use the paid for version which was, from memory, £4.99 when I purchased it about two years ago, the main difference at that time was unlimited map downloads compared to a maximum of ten downloads for the free version. That seems to be no longer the case but reference is now made to 'map updates' which I certainly get on a regular basis. What I really like about OsmAnd is the ability to easily create and save your own hiking route as a GPX file which I then use with GPS at varying time intervals rather than turn-by-turn when on a 4 to 5 hour hike. Using this method I can navigate a 5 hour hike - roughly 20km - using 5% battery.

The other app I use is Magic Earth :-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmagic.magicearth
which is totally free, does everything you have listed and does it well. It also uses OSM maps with unlimited free map downloads, including updates, and free turn-by-turn navigation for car and walking.

There is another app which I have only recently downloaded - MAPS.ME :-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro
I'm still trying it out but it looks promising and appears to be very fast in calculating a route. Similar to the other two apps it uses OSM maps and is totally free and does everything on your want list.

:)

Last edited:
MapFactor Navigator - and I've tried them all, including HERE ...

hi

thanks
cheers
samsung s3

Back
Top Bottom