• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for Android 24 with 1TB or more storage

ab165239

I have an S10 and like the size, but I an looking to upgrade and want a phone with a lot of storage for holding high-res music files for playing in the car. Need Android 14 or higher for bitperfect music. The S24 Ultra is too expensive and too large. Anyone know of an alternative that works on usa verizon ?

thx

I'm looking first to find any that meet the specs and if there's multiple choices, make a decision with price in mind. I'd prefer to stay under $1000 but my concerns are more about function and compatibility with Verizon USA network. If I have to buy the S24 Ultra, then I may do that. I see Chinese brands that have the specs I want except the USA network part... and I don't want to guess on that. It has to be a phone that's supported by Verizon or at least known to work with Verizon. Why do these phones have to be so gigantic? :-)

I'm looking first to find any that meet the specs and if there's multiple choices, make a decision with price in mind. I'd prefer to stay under $1000 but my concerns are more about function and compatibility with Verizon USA network. If I have to buy the S24 Ultra, then I may do that. I see Chinese brands that have the specs I want except the USA network part... and I don't want to guess on that. It has to be a phone that's supported by Verizon or at least known to work with Verizon. Why do these phones have to be so gigantic? :)

Think you might be restricted to that Samsung S24 Ultra, or an iPhone 15 Pro Max probably. I believe Verizon USA only supports certain phones that they supply.

Last edited:
Think you might be restricted to that Samsung S24 Ultra, or an iPhone 15 Pro Max probably. I believe Verizon USA only supports certain phones that they supply.
That's kind of what I've been running into. I wanted Android 14 for the bitperfect mode and no resampling of the audio. I'm an android guy, so I'm unlikely to go Apple. Although; I recently bought my second Kenwood - Excelon Reference DMX958XR receiver for my new audio build in my next car. One thing that was initially annoying about this new model verses the last Excelon I installed in my prior vehicle is that they no longer included two usb ports; one for android and one mostly for iphones. Thing is, I could plug my android phone into the android port and plug my HD music flash drive into the apple usb and I was perfectly happy like that. But Kenwood in their wisdom decided to change the apple usb port to an apple hdmi port. That would work well for an iphone user as an iphone could be plugged into the hdmi and the android usb could be used for the flash drive, but obviously not visa versa. In any case, I'm sure their logic is that using wireless "wifi" android auto, we'd be able to get cd quality music wirelessly and the 2nd usb would not necessarily be required. Although the 2nd usb could have been used for charging. So, what I do now, is plug my phone into a cigarette lighter/usb to charge and play downloaded music from qobuz wirelessly via android auto wifi. Then I can switch to my HD usb music if I want to. I have to admit that the wifi quality is really good for wireless. I have not tried wireless bluetooth/ldac yet as I have no need, but this Kenwood supports ldac. But it's my understanding that wifi wireless is still higher res than bluetooth/ldac. Hmm; I wonder if the Apple hdmi port could have an adapter to usb? I hadn't thought of that til now, I wonder if that's possible.
I may have to wait until next year's phones as phone makers hopefully cater to markets that require more storage. It's irritating though that Samsung didn't make a 1TB version of their regular smaller S24.
Thanks for the input.

Since you only want that storage for music you could buy a phone with a microSD slot and stick a 1TB card in it, which will be much cheaper. But if you want something like a flagship phone rather than just A14 + 1TB you'd have to compromise something else, since few manufacturers are including card slots in flagship-level phones, and the obvious one that does (Sony) tends to be expensive and have little US presence.

Is a car really the sort of listening environment where the difference between bit-perfect and higher-end compression is going to matter though? Of course you might want the highest quality for other environments anyway.

Back
Top Bottom