• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking forward to the Pixel XL

I hope it's nicer than the released renders - looks very meh but specs look to be good

I was due an upgrade in April, and this years HTC looked too much like a Samsung to me so I'm still looking for something that grabs my attention. Nearly went with Huawei P9 Plus, but hanging on for this

Upvote 0
Verizon put devices up early on their business site.
https://ecomm.verizonwireless.com/commerce/servlet/en/verizon/search/devices-smartphone#
Untitled1.png

Upvote 0
What cracks me up is when a new iPhone comes out, I don't see people posting to their forums, complaining about the high price of the phone?

There were some Android users complaining about the high price of the Galaxy phones. My wife's 64 GB Note 7 retails for $900.00, who knows what the 6/128GB version will cost? The iPhone 7 Plus, (which is not available until later in November), lists out at $869. Both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 are locked down where the Pixel is not.

Bottom line, Google is trying to play in the premium phone market. Only time will tell if they can, but their prices are pretty much aligned with Samsung and Apple...

Upvote 0
What cracks me up is when a new iPhone comes out, I don't see people posting to their forums, complaining about the high price of the phone?
True - but keep in mind that iPhones have always been at that price point. Several Nexus devices have been significantly cheaper (lowest was about $350). Even the 'pricey' N6 was about 649. With Pixel, the price for a similarly sized phone (XL) went up significantly, and hence, the complaints.

My son had an HTC phone many years ago. It was the WORST phone we have ever owned. We have only purchased Motorola phones since. The HTC manufacturing is actually one of my concerns about this phone. Although, I could always go back to my N6.
I agree - while it is Google's design/specs, the manufacturing is still HTC. And while I haven't had hardware issues with my older HTC devices (I've stopped buying their devices due to their lack of software updates), I'm worried about the manufacturing process - I've heard horror stories.

Reactions: jwbeeler
Upvote 0
True - but keep in mind that iPhones have always been at that price point. Several Nexus devices have been significantly cheaper (lowest was about $350). Even the 'pricey' N6 was about 649. With Pixel, the price for a similarly sized phone (XL) went up significantly, and hence, the complaints.

Please note, I say all of the following with techy love:

I feel that this complaint is misdirected. While, yes, the phone is very expensive, I feel that people aren't complaining that the phone is expensive more that they are complaining that it doesn't follow the Nexus price trend... but this isn't a Nexus phone, so why do people keep using that comparison? Sure, it has replaced the Nexus in terms of this being Google's priority in terms of devices and Google's Android experience, but that a does not make this a Nexus, or even a direct replacement to Nexus. Nexus (for now) is a thing of the past and Pixel ≠ Nexus.

Folks should be mad that Google has nixed the Nexus program. That's the problem. This phone being expensive is no different than Samsung putting out an $800 phone or Apple. Now, you can criticize Google for thinking it has the bravado to formally enter the premium device market and think it can price its first gen phone along those who have well established their reputation, quality and user experience. Or perhaps criticize Google for having the gall to price its device along Apple and Samsung and not even offer proper water proofing, but stop complaining that it doesn't follow the Nexus program... it's not supposed to :)

Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
I can't speak for other people, but for me (and my friends that use Nexus devices), Pixel is more or less the next gen Nexus. Google was already throwing their 'skin' and apps on Nexus anyway (launcher, and GApps) - and most of the people were/are ok with that because it was not sucking up RAM, not slowing down the device, not taking up too much storage, and was useful.

What does the Pixel offer that is not there on Nexus? The assistant? (till Google blocks it, folk have figured out how to get it working on rooted Nexus). What am I missing? The Bezels? (LOL)
(ok, it has slightly better hardware than last year, but that would have happened even with Nexus).

I'm not disagreeing with you BTW. Google doesn't want the Pixel to be considered as the follow-up of Nexus program. But folks that loved Nexus because it was bloat free, are left with no other options but the Pixel, so they (including me) consider Pixel to be Nexus 2.0 :)

The Nexus 6 was a flagship device - and except for the camera, it was worth the $699 cost (in my opinion) - even though I didn't want to pay that full amount! lol!

Same with the Pixel:
  • Do I want to pay almost $900 for the 128GB XL version (since there is no 64GB option)? No.
  • Is it worth 900? I don't know - maybe not.
  • Would I have liked a lower price point - say 650? Absolutely!
  • Will I get it? yeah, because the other options are Apple or Samsung/LG (that are priced about the same as Pixel- and I really don't see a point in getting those instead of the Pixel, and deal with the restrictions, or the bloat/skin). I hope I won't have buyer's remorse in a few months, and feel like I should have gotten the 6p instead
This is uncharted territory - let's see how it plays out.

Edit: Just thought of an analogy - In the US, car brands like Kia (or Hyundai) have traditionally been considered as economy versions, or mid-range. Not as luxury car brands. Is there anything wrong with them? Not really - on a recent trip, I ended up with a Hyundai Genesis rental - fairly powerful, good tech options, comfortable/spacious (, good warranty). If they priced it (on initial launch) similar to the luxury brands, they'd probably have issues. That's just the way the market behaves.

Last edited:
Reactions: zetroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones