• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

looking to upgrade phone

Jodeci

Lurker
Sep 19, 2015
hi, I've had an EVO LTE for the last 3 years now. My phone started having the screen jump every time I used it and it was just getting worse every day. Last summer, I finally upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S5. I had a Galaxy Tab 3 and thought it would be an ok phone. I was wrong. After the 2nd day I realised I made a huge mistake and went on ebay and got a new EVO LTE and returned my Galaxy back to Sprint where it belongs. Never again.
I was afraid to upgrade again in fear of repeating this nightmare.

Since the software on my phone is so old, a lot of apps don't properly work, and my front facing camera does not work and hasn't worked since February. I used it maybe 4 times ever on a brand new phone and it stopped working 6 months later. No water damage/any other damage.

All I want is a phone that's very similar to the EVO LTE. I'm assuming the EVO line is discontinued and was replaced with the One?

For the last 4 months I've been looking at the M9. Has anyone here went from the EVO to the M9? What are some differences? How much better is the camera in comparison to the EVO LTE? I heard that Swype was being discontinued with the software?? I have problems with my hands and I exclusively use Swype and don't ever use the regular keyboard. How is the text messaging app? I use GoSMS Pro.
I only use my phone for pictures/calls/text and the only apps I use are Swarm, Ruzzle, Instagram, Shazam, and Twitter. I don't use my phone for music or to watch videos. I know I'm boring lol

every bit of info helps! thank you in advance

I had the EVO, the EVO 3D, the ONE M7, and now the ONE M9.

I still use Swype. And I use google hangouts for messaging.

If you liked the EVO, then you will like the ONE, the only real difference being the no replaceable battery.

I seem to get better 4G "Spark" LTE reception than I did with the ONE M7 on the normal LTE.

Thanks!! Removable battery isn't an issue with me.
Where I live, I always roam. Service isn't really a big deal for me. Before I moved locations at work, my battery would drain from no use if I was at work for 5 hours. I always have my phone on airplane mode out of habit.

I only use GoSMSPro because I change the notification icon colors and vibrate for certain contacts. I assume you can't do this in stock messenger?

I've heard the camera "isn't good"- how does it compare to the EVO LTE? I was fooled with the GalaxyS5's camera, and I don't want to relive it again

Upvote 0
Thanks!! Removable battery isn't an issue with me.

I've heard the camera "isn't good"- how does it compare to the EVO LTE? I was fooled with the GalaxyS5's camera, and I don't want to relive it again

The camera discussion surrounding the M9 is interesting to say the least.
You can find some tips & honest reviews of it right here,please feel free to ask questions as needed:
http://androidforums.com/threads/htc-m9-camera-discussion-show-off-your-pictures.906130/

General consensus seems to be the camera left some to be desired at initial release,but,has been greatly improved w/software updates since.
I suggest snapping some pix w/a demo model,nothing trumps actual use..............

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones