• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost USB connection option

MikeHunt555

Aug 12, 2017
Since an Android/Samsung update, I've lost interconnection that I used to have with my laptop via the USB cable.

Before, when I plugged it in, I was asked on my Samsung if I wanted to allow the connection - Yes or No. Now I don't get asked and so can't connect the two devices.

Can I get it to work again somehow?

Pull down your notifications, and if there's one there telling you your current connection mode try tapping it to change mode.

Or enable the developer options menu (tap repeatedly on the "build number" in the software information) and see whether there is an option there to change the default connection type.

The option to connect to the laptop hasn't been removed, it's just that the interface has changed.

Reactions: MikeHunt555
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.
However, as I'm not too hot on these things, I connected tge USB and ny phone bleeped.
I had a look at all the icons. Which is the one to click on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180924-165743_Forums.jpg
    Screenshot_20180924-165743_Forums.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 2,208
  • Screenshot_20180924-165810_Forums.jpg
    Screenshot_20180924-165810_Forums.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 368
Upvote 0
That collection of buttons are shortcuts - "quick settings" is the technical name for them.

Notifications are things like the one at the bottom of your screenshot (the one notifying you that I'd replied to your post). On recent Android versions the normal thing is that when you connect the phone to a laptop you'll get a notification telling you you have done this. This may tell you that it is charging over usb. Tap that and you should be able to select different connection options.

If Samsung have done something different, I don't have a recent Samsung to hand to see what it is (my only Samsung device is a 5 year old tablet running 5.1). But that's what I'd expect from other manufacturers. If you really can't find anything then I would try going into the developer options (see earlier post) and seeing if you can change the default USB connection mode so that it automatically connects in file transfer (MTP) mode. Or go into your settings while it's connected and see whether there are options visible that aren't when it's not connected, but there really should be a direct link to that from the notifications.

Reactions: MikeHunt555
Upvote 0
I've realised now the small icons at the tip of the screen are called Indicator Icons, not notifications.

I connected the USB again to look for a notification, when, lo and behold, the original message I used to see appeared!

No idea why it disaopeared after the update, but it's now working as it used to!

Thanks so much for all your help with this.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones