• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I doubt this forum will be as busy as the HTC Hero one was, even when it's released in the USA. The Hero was the flagship Android phone at the time of its launch, while the Xperia Play is much more of a niche device seeing as it's got the gamepad and there are several Android devices which outpower it.

Upvote 0
Ok, you're right, and I'm not too happy about it either, but there's a thread for that.
Posting about it in every thread is either very sour grapes, or just plain trolling.

The key to stopping trolls is to not feed them with bait posts and OEMs not to make poor design decisions.

The four devices I looked forward to are a bust for me:

1. X Play: I can handle no 4G, but the storage is pure silly
2. Thunderbolt: Has 8gb, but 4gb killed on purpose, yet it is still touted in specs, reviews and stores. Nobody seems to check the stuff when reviewing. Battery life is an issue as well.
3. Bionic: The display does not look good to me (TB is much better) and Blur dirties the UI up.
4. LG Revolution: Same specs as the TB- Why not the dual that other carriers are getting?

I am being rhetorical, but I "get" it. VZW is leveraging their superior coverage map and banking on folks accepting mid-level devices, but at premium prices- rather than bail to other carriers with less coverage.

Smart plan, but perhaps diminished returns as the year progresses. The Bionic is not a mid-level, but the feet dragging by Motorola getting the device out and lack of buzz for the device may kill sales.

I understand why the OEMs do what they do:

Sony: The X Play is a concept test device and Sony did not want to put anymore money into it, so left it as it was 18 months ago and simply slapped a 8255/8655 chipset in it.

Thunderbolt: It was delayed enough and (per a level 2 tech) the full 8gb created problems with stability (why though?). Still, HTC and VZW did not want to sit on the product any longer.

Bionic: The display tech used for the higher res display is a lower cost alternative and Blur is their UI they can not let go of for phones (probably politics inside Motorola).

LG Revolution: VZW asked for the mid level device, since this fits with VZW strategy of pushing out mid level devices for premium prices.

VZW has turned into Tmo, from two years ago. Tmo was doing the same thing, but the leverage was their lower cost per month. VZW is doing the same thing, though using their great coverage map rather than lower cost (which they are not).

What is so hard?

1. 4" to 4.3" display (TB level quality)
2. 16gb internal (or at least 8gb that actually works)
3. Dual core
4. 4G

Seems very simple. If the Xplay had these things, it would probably be a big seller.

Pheew! I feel much better! :)

Upvote 0
The key to stopping trolls is to not feed them with bait posts and OEMs not to make poor design decisions.

The four devices I looked forward to are a bust for me:

1. X Play: I can handle no 4G, but the storage is pure silly
2. Thunderbolt: Has 8gb, but 4gb killed on purpose, yet it is still touted in specs, reviews and stores. Nobody seems to check the stuff when reviewing. Battery life is an issue as well.
3. Bionic: The display does not look good to me (TB is much better) and Blur dirties the UI up.
4. LG Revolution: Same specs as the TB- Why not the dual that other carriers are getting?

I am being rhetorical, but I "get" it. VZW is leveraging their superior coverage map and banking on folks accepting mid-level devices, but at premium prices- rather than bail to other carriers with less coverage.

Smart plan, but perhaps diminished returns as the year progresses. The Bionic is not a mid-level, but the feet dragging by Motorola getting the device out and lack of buzz for the device may kill sales.

I understand why the OEMs do what they do:

Sony: The X Play is a concept test device and Sony did not want to put anymore money into it, so left it as it was 18 months ago and simply slapped a 8255/8655 chipset in it.

Thunderbolt: It was delayed enough and (per a level 2 tech) the full 8gb created problems with stability (why though?). Still, HTC and VZW did not want to sit on the product any longer.

Bionic: The display tech used for the higher res display is a lower cost alternative and Blur is their UI they can not let go of for phones (probably politics inside Motorola).

LG Revolution: VZW asked for the mid level device, since this fits with VZW strategy of pushing out mid level devices for premium prices.

VZW has turned into Tmo, from two years ago. Tmo was doing the same thing, but the leverage was their lower cost per month. VZW is doing the same thing, though using their great coverage map rather than lower cost (which they are not).

What is so hard?

1. 4" to 4.3" display (TB level quality)
2. 16gb internal (or at least 8gb that actually works)
3. Dual core
4. 4G

Seems very simple. If the Xplay had these things, it would probably be a big seller.

Pheew! I feel much better! :)

Cool story Bro

Reactions: carmendiva
Upvote 0
Hey, at least he's keeping the forum active with lots to read and think about.

We'll see if this forum picks up when it's released here. I wanna know though, if Pocket Legends will be able to use the analog sticks on the Xpera.

I'd also love this phone if it got rooted and had a Sense 2.0 rom ;)

I am in talks with Spacetime about getting not just Pocket Legends to be Xperia Play compatible, but also their upcoming MMO BlackStar.

You can find the thread here;

Xperia Play Optimized?

Please post and let them know you are interested in this as they told me they aren't sure how well received it would be. In an email they told me this;

Hey William,

Yeah, the team's seen the Xperia. Needless to say, we're pretty jazzed for it too :) Too early to make any promises, but... yeah ;)

Upvote 0
I too am waiting for the release of this phone stateside :)

The Storage space isn't an issue really because can't you just use the SD card for apps/games?

Blur to me is a pretty neat UI...It enhances the social networking aspect of Android...Something that Android on it's own sucks at. I have onetouch access to all my social networking websites and i dont necessarily have to download a bunch of apps. It's built into the phone.

The thunderbolt....i just dont like. Reminds me of an EVo which i already had.

LG phone...i wouldn't consider it mid level.....IF anything just lower tier high range devices.

Every phone that is released in 2011 does not need to be dual core or match the specs of phones like the Atrix, Sensation, Evo 3d, etc. etc.

There will always be low end devices for those who want a lot in a cheaper package and midrange devices for those who want just a tad bit more without paying for something premium like the Premium phones i listed above.

Xperia play is a niche device...One i will be buying if it is ever released. I'm a girl, an android girl at that and i love gaming :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones