• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Macbook Pro v Samsung Series 7

Mostly Harmless

Android Expert
Looking to replace my faithful lenovo after a good run. Mostly doing video editing and photo editing. I have a few external HD that I know I will need to buy a special program to use with the macbook. If I went with a macbook will I run into issues with my SGS2 specifically with rooting? I am anti-iPhone but I am trying to keep an open mind. Any opinions?

Samsung Series 7 is(IIRC) moving to Ivy Bridge processors which just released a week to week and a half ago. Very good processors but won't be released with them for a little while because Notebooks(Including The MacBooks) are going to have special dual core Ivy Bridge processors IIRC and they at having slight problems trying to perfect them. Now the current series 7s AND Macs are beast also with Sandy Bridge processors that are still monster. Sandy Bridge works wonders also but Ivy Bridge is a decent upgrade in terms of the Integrated Graphics on the CPU die so if you are looking at doing some gaming is anything along those lines it MAY be better to wait for the Ivy Bridge for EITHER the Mac or Sammy but if you are just looking for a good computer with fast speeds opening closing and running programs without heavy gaming then just get the current Sandy Bridge ones which are the ones you will find right now. If you find a Sammy that you want or even a Mac that you are interested in anytime soon then assume it is Sandy which will be fine with nothing less than the new led just not as good integrated graphics but if you DO find on any time soon and want to know what technology the processor is then let me know and I will tell you which one it is.

Oops.forgot to tell you what Ivy and Sandy bridge is. SANDY Bridge is the 2nd Generation technology for Intel Core i processors(i3, i5 and i7 processors) and Ivy Bridge is the newest technology for the Intel Core I series which stop go by the names of i3, i5 and i7. Sorry for the long reply but just let me know which 2 setups you are interested from each manufacturer and then I can tell you exactly whigh I would.recommend for what you want providing you tell me what you will be using it for AND I can tell you what each one will do better than the other.

Looking to replace my faithful lenovo after a good run. Mostly doing video editing and photo editing. I have a few external HD that I know I will need to buy a special program to use with the macbook.

How are your drives formatted? If they're FAT32, Mac OS can read/write FAT32 drives just fine. If NTFS they mount as read only in Mac OS, writing to NTFS drives can be enabled though. No need to buy any software. Now getting Windows to read Mac HFS+ formatted drives, that's another matter entirely. That does require additional software.

If I went with a macbook will I run into issues with my SGS2 specifically with rooting? I am anti-iPhone but I am trying to keep an open mind. Any opinions?

Depends on the rooting software, if it requires Windows or not. You can install and dual boot Windows on a Macbook anyway, with Bootcamp.

you can use exFAT which is shared between both Windows and mac OSX. No silly FAT32 4GB file limit.

And yes software is needed for WIndows to read/write HFS+ (MacDrive 8)

And software is needed for Macs to write NTFS. However, you can get a free NTFS read/write when you buy external hard drives. Seagate and Western Digital usually bundles a full NTFS driver for macs.

And software is needed for Macs to write NTFS.

Actually Snow Leopard and Lion have native NTFS write support, but it's unstable and so it was disabled by default, but you can enable it and try it at your own risk..
A nice stable and free way to get write capability on NTFS partition on a Mac would be to install "MacFUSE" and "ntfs-3g" ;)

Back
Top Bottom