• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Make Android device into cloud-based picture frame?

dewalist

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2009
Connecticut
Hi all,
I have a cheap tablet that I want to make into a digital picture frame. It seemed pretty straightforward - create a shared album in Google Photos, then set up Daydream to launch at a certain time of day. Well, that would work great if the album wasn't a shared album. It only works if the album is a local album with pictures that are on the device. That's not what I want - I'm looking for something that will let me use an album that other family members can drop photos into. In case it matters, this device only runs Android 4.4...

Any ideas?

You can use the Day Frame application for this purpose. Once you install the application, you will be asked to select the photo sources. You can customize the photo sources. You can also set a timer for the pictures according to when and how you want them to roll.
Thanks for replying! Sadly, I did try Day Frame, but on this device it crashes immediately upon being launched. I haven't been able to figure out why.

The closest I have been able to get is that within the Google Photos app, when you are viewing a shared list, there is an option called "Save to library". That appears to download the pictures in that shared album to the device. Then, in Daydream, I select "all photos". The only reason this works is that this particular user doesn't use Google Photos, so the ones from this album are the ONLY ones on the device. If that wasn't the case, I'd have to set up a new Google user account JUST for this device. What I haven't tried yet is to see whether or not I have to go back and click that same "save to library" button every time someone else adds a new photo to the album...

I'm still hoping there is an easier solution out there! Even if it is a different app (like Flickr or something) that I can give to people and say "add cool photos to this app", and use that as my screensaver source...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones