• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Make Windows 11 PC auto accept bluetooth transfers?

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
Since Windows 8, the ability to auto receive files over bluetooth has gone. Any way to fix this?

Now before someone says "that would be insecure", I am not asking for it to just accept therm. But at the moment it doesn't even prompt me! My Android 11 phone, if a bluetooth file is sent to it, it asks if I want to receive it. Windows just remains silent, I have to actually tell it to be ready to receive a file every time.

Is this actually an Android issue or perhaps it is a MS Windows change in its Bluetooth connectivity?
Also since you referred to Win8, that's a version of Windows over a decade old, while Android 11 is still well under three years old so there's a going to be difference in Bluetooth versions in each OS. Bluetooth is very backwards compatible but not it can't be for everything -- some file transfer protocols in more recent versions didn't even exist ten years ago.

Win 8, 10, 11 all have the problem. Nothing to do with an incompatibility, but a stupid setting.

How do I download KDE connect? The link on the page just goes to that stupid MS Store, which is a blank page.

In that link, click on the Offline installer

When I click on the Microsoft store link it takes me to KDE Connect download in the Microsoft store. No idea why you are getting a blank page I did a screen shot
windowskde.png

Tried Opera, Chrome, and Edge, all do the same. Even tried a VPN. I detest MS Store, it never works properly. Why can't they just have a direct download like everyone else?

Are you using a web browser or that weird store app thing?

Ok, I managed to find it in the MS Store app, their webpage must be playing up yet again. But how do I use it? I just get this, and nothing I click does a thing. Do I need to run it on the phone too?:

upload_2023-1-8_3-51-41.png

This is after-the-fact but you could have just gone to the source (the actual KDE Connect website) instead of the Microsoft store (use the 'Offline installers' link below):
https://kdeconnect.kde.org/download.html
And yes, you need to have KDE Connect installed on both your WinPC and your Android device:
https://userbase.kde.org/KDEConnect#Pairing_two_devices_together

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

Depending on your phone model, with Windows you'll probably need to make sure you have the appropriate device driver installed first so the KDE Connect utility will be able to detect and interact with your phone.

MS Store on Linux?! MS make Linux apps now?

I just had a look at the download page you mentioned, and there's only the MS Store, and at the bottom, source code. I haven't a clue how to compile that.

Not sure what you mean by "device driver" - my phone is just a USB storage device as far as my computer's concerned. Never installed a driver for a phone?!

Got it working eventually. It said my device wasn't trusted and kept locking up. I guess you have to click things in the right order on both devices.

File transfer from phone to PC works well.

But copy and paste only works in one direction, from the PC to the phone.

Also:
"This integrates your desktop and your browser so that you can right-click on files or links and send it immediately to your phone!"

Neither of those work, a link inside my browser or a file in file explorer.

Again, download the required Windows exe installer from the KDE Connect website and stop focusing on the infernal MS Store.

Regarding a device driver, with Windows especially USB external devices, you typically need to install a required driver to be able to actually mount external devices. If your Windows PC automatically detects the device and installs the required driver, you're all set. But that isn't always the norm so you might need to go to the website of your phone's manufacturer to download the Windows driver.

Again, download the required Windows exe installer from the KDE Connect website and stop focusing on the infernal MS Store.
Again, there is no exe on the kde website! Only a link to the store, and a link to the source on github!

Regarding a device driver, with Windows especially USB external devices, you typically need to install a required driver to be able to actually mount external devices.
Not since about Windows 98. It's a USB drive like any other, no driver needed.

I don't know why you continue relying upon the MS Store site. Go to KDE Connect's web site here:
https://kdeconnect.kde.org/download.html
Scroll down to the Windows section, and use the Offline installer link to download the Windows exe installer.

Then go the Google Play Store and download the KDE app for your phone.

I didn't see the offline link. I actually misread that as Office instead of Offline. I shouldn't have to hunt for a normal download.

I feel your frustration with Windows 11 not being as responsive as your Android phone when it comes to Bluetooth file transfers. It's all about convenience, right? While Windows 11 might be a bit hesitant on this front, one workaround could be to check your Bluetooth settings. Sometimes, there's an option buried in there to enable auto-receiving files, although it can vary depending on your specific Bluetooth adapter. And hey, for more tech tips and tricks, you might want to check out the Window 10 key Reddit sub. They often share useful insights and solutions that could potentially help with this issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom