• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making the Switch From Verizon to T-Mobile

Slickyy

I'm really happy with Verizon, however as I get more into my phone I'm really bummed that I can't buy GSM model phones like the Nexus 5 or the Oppo series phones and just stick my SIM card in there and have it work. It's the biggest issue with Verizon, other than their CEO.

So in about 3 months I'll be making the switch to T-Mobile once I move towards Chicago where T-Mobile has much better service

I'm just here for some questions though

* Does the unlimited Data plan throttle you? (I do not plan on tethering at all)

* Can I bring my Verizon HTC One there temporarily until I get a new phone?

* I only use about 500 minutes a month, is there a plan that I'm not seeing that doesn't have unlimited minutes, but has unlimited data?

* How about contracts?

I'm just asking these questions because where I'm at now, there isn't a single T-Mobile store for 50 miles and sometimes there's more than what is shown on the website for ISP's and phone providers.

I'm really happy with Verizon, however as I get more into my phone I'm really bummed that I can't buy GSM model phones like the Nexus 5 or the Oppo series phones and just stick my SIM card in there and have it work. It's the biggest issue with Verizon, other than their CEO.

So in about 3 months I'll be making the switch to T-Mobile once I move towards Chicago where T-Mobile has much better service

I'm just here for some questions though

* Does the unlimited Data plan throttle you? (I do not plan on tethering at all)

* Can I bring my Verizon HTC One there temporarily until I get a new phone?

* I only use about 500 minutes a month, is there a plan that I'm not seeing that doesn't have unlimited minutes, but has unlimited data?

* How about contracts?

I'm just asking these questions because where I'm at now, there isn't a single T-Mobile store for 50 miles and sometimes there's more than what is shown on the website for ISP's and phone providers.

All but the most expensive plan will throttle you to 2g speeds after a point, but no overages

As for your phone, only if it's an unlocked world phone you can use it rather than buy a new device, but I don't think it will support the lte band

I think other than the prepaid 30 dollar 100 mins 5gb of data, we really don't have them.

It is kinda like a contract, if you eip. otherwise leave when you want to do it. If you are bringing your own device i say skip tmobile altogether and use metro pcs.

It is kinda like a contract, if you eip. otherwise leave when you want to do it. If you are bringing your own device i say skip tmobile altogether and use metro pcs.

Does Metro PCS throttle you? Can I bring a OnePlus One there?

Does Metro PCS throttle you? Can I bring a OnePlus One there?

Metro is like tmobile Jr now at the most expensive plan it doesn't throttle you 60 bucks unlimited everything flat no surprise taxes or fees no throttle, and yes...you can bring the Oppo there(OnePlus Phone, One)

Metro is like tmobile Jr now at the most expensive plan it doesn't throttle you 60 bucks unlimited everything flat no surprise taxes or fees no throttle, and yes...you can bring the Oppo there(OnePlus Phone, One)

Might have to do that, all I know about MetroPCS is that they're going to be in the area soon. I'll look into their current coverage in the area

1. The unlimited $80 plan does not throttle you, ever, if you do not tether.
2. You cannot use a Verizon phone unless, as DirtyDee said, it is an unlocked GSM world phone, and you would need to check the compatibility of the HSPA+ and LTE bands.
3. There is not.
4. T-Mobile doesn't do contracts.

MetroPCS is now basically the same as T-Mobile prepaid. A little cheaper than T-Mobile postpaid. The main disadvantages of prepaid being having to pay ahead and that postpaid customers get priority on the data network. That may not seem important to you but could be significant if things get congested and you have critical business to do.

I made the switch from Verizon and couldn't be happier. I have the unlimited plan and there is no throttling.

If you live in an area where they have good service then it's a no brainer move. I visited Chicago recently and the signal was strong and data fast, I was only there a few days but it worked really well. I am now paying almost half of what I paid when I was with Verizon and I am getting much more, T-Mobile paid my ETF to leave Verizon just as they promised.

, T-Mobile paid my ETF to leave Verizon just as they promised.

I recently went to T-Mobile and they would NOT pay my ETF, they would only credit my T-Mobile bill. This left me at a huge disadvantage because with my financial situation I can't afford $300 spread out with my T-Mobile payments. I was hoping they would be able to transfer funds to my Verizon account to cover it or something, however that didn't seem to be the case :(

i thought they were sending a Visa card with the ETF on it? Albeit I think it usually takes 6-8 weeks to process. just fyi.

how much longer is your contract with VZW?

luckily i have been out of contract with VZW for a while. I'm just waiting on the right time to move.

I recently went to T-Mobile and they would NOT pay my ETF, they would only credit my T-Mobile bill.

That's strange, did they say why? You are supposed to get a prepaid Mastercard with your ETF reimbursement.

T-Mobile ETF Source One:
The ETF reimbursement request could take up to 8 weeks to process. Provided you are still a T-Mobile customer in good standing, you'll be paid in the form of a prepaid MasterCard. You can submit and check the status of your prepaid MasterCard at www.switch2tmobile.com.

T-Mobile ETF Source Two:
How does it work? What does the process look like? How do customers receive their credits?
Customers currently under contract with another carrier are eligible for up to $650 per line (up to 5 lines). It’s two simple steps.

1. When porting their number they can trade-in their working phones and tablets at any participating T-Mobile location and receive a credit up to $300 per device, which can be applied towards a new device purchase.
Then, when they get their final bill listing their ETF amounts, they simply send it to T-Mobile or submit it online at switch2tmobile.com, and within 8 weeks they receive a prepaid MasterCard covering their ETF amount up to $350 per line. The amount paid will not be more than the ETF amount the customers’ previous carriers charge for the type of device traded-in.

I asked why they can't just pay my ETF directly and he said "that's not how it works". They could credit my account, and that was about it :/

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few months ago. I didn't do the ETF thing, since my contract was up anyway (and I was waiting on a warranty replacement from VZW to come so I could sell it on eBay).

It's seriously one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I don't have "proper" internet at home anymore, and with tethering, my Verizon bills were $150-200/mo. Now, with T-M, I have unlimited for less than the base cost I had with Verizon with no overages (and a paltry 4GB data).

T-Mobile LTE is also way, way faster than Verizon here, especially where I live (there's T-M equipment on the roof).

For now I'm using a Galaxy Light that I got off eBay for $120 (which I've rooted and heavily modded with Xposed and Nova). Until I can get my hands on a OnePlus One.

Back
Top Bottom