• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

McAfee's Antivirus & Security app is SCARY!

I don't have an S5 and I've never used Towelroot, but I'd say if in any doubt don't do it. McAfee might be flagging it because rooting does use security exploits to perform what it does.

If it's a Samsung S5, rooting voids the warranty. And yes it can do harm, if it doesn't work it can damage the phone's software, rendering it dead and bricked. Plus an expensive repair bill from Samsung to put it right, if they can.

You might want to have a read of our Samsung S5, All Things Root forum...
S5 - All Things Root - Android Forums

BTW I have rooted and customised my own phone, but it's an Oppo, where the manufacturer provides full support for rooting on their own forums, is completely safe, fully reversible, and they don't void the warranty.

Thanks Mike,

Ya know, think I'll take your advice. Always love to "tinker" with OS's and tweek things, this time, LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE. The telly works fine, why bother right now. Obviously VSN & ATT know that folks are tweeking, rooting and in general HACKING the phone.

So, after 7/17/2014, they have put their "feets" down and until someone gets a safe root hack, I'll sit back and enjoy the phone as is.
Really wanted the AV software though but NOT the invasive "capturecam" of McAfee capturing me on the potty :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:!! Really only got the Angry Bird shower curtain but that was ENUF!!!

The telly comes with a simple AV program [app] so I'll do with that for now.

Again, ya all have been most helpful and VERY INFORMATIVE. Never knew about the rooting but we all know about hacking and basically that's what it is. And VSN & ATT don't like us or those who go behind their backs.
I'm not a hacker anyway. Scary stuff and raises my ID theft hackles.

Again, THANK YOU ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD.
Been using forums since the 90's [ya know 1990's :rolleyes: ] and have gained great knowledge!

BTW, love your reference to "BRICK" Could I throw it at the Verizon store nearest me?!!? Ho Ho Hee Hee LOL

Blessings to ya all,

Ellen

HEY I HAVE a solution that does not require rooting! no tinkering required! in fact you don't need to install anything!! its not even an app!!

you do need to go to the store and buy something: masking tape. stick it on your camera and voila! privacy! youre good to go!

:thumbup: :D

HEY I HAVE a solution that does not require rooting! no tinkering required! in fact you don't need to install anything!! its not even an app!!

you do need to go to the store and buy something: masking tape. stick it on your camera and voila! privacy! youre good to go!

:thumbup: :D

Ya know the old adage, Duck Tape & Chicken Wire

This ^^
That and Norton have become worse than viruses. Oh the irony.

Geese, now ya sound like congrASS, complaining about everythang but not offering ANY alternatives / solutions.
What AV program do you use or recommend???:secruity:

:willy:
:vamp:
[Stuck him in cuzz he's cool!]
Frank Sinatra "Werewolves in the night, exchanging blood types, yada yada yada, dumdee dum dum ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪"

Ellen

Get prepared for an onslaught of posts explaining why you don't need av on android because there are few if any known viruses there. Personally, I can take av or leave it as long as it doesn't cause problems. The app may be bundled with other useful features (like the one you didn't like. )

More important than av are other choices you make:
@ only download from reliable sources like Google play,Amazon etc.
@ Be careful about the apps you download-a new app from unknown dev with few usersand many permissions might be one to avoid.
@ Consider installing firewall.
@ Etc.

Get prepared for an onslaught of posts explaining why you don't need av on android because there are few if any known viruses there. Personally, I can take av or leave it as long as it doesn't cause problems. The app may be bundled with other useful features (like the one you didn't like. )

More important than av are other choices you make:
@ only download from reliable sources like Google play,Amazon etc.
@ Be careful about the apps you download-a new app from unknown dev with few usersand many permissions might be one to avoid.
@ Consider installing firewall.
@ Etc.

Yo, totally agree. Everybody likes free stuff

Back
Top Bottom