• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Media (Music) Volume Fluctuates Randomly (searched, no solutions))

bubbles0888

Lurker
Oct 12, 2018
I've spent weeks Googling this issue. I've seen people have this issue across so many different forums with no solutions. LG G7 Sprint Android 8.0

To describe it, the media volume fluctuates randomly. It can go down for a few seconds to a few minutes and then spike back up to normal volume and drop back down. Usually when I start and stop the music it will sometimes go back to normal but will then continue to fluctuate not long after.

It doesn't matter what kind of phone it is and it's not specific to any app. The only responses I usually find are pretty much the tech support answers of restarting the phone, try different headphones, ect.

So I'm going try and remember and list all of the things I've tried along with many other people to no avail.

1. I've rebooted the phone
2. Took the battery out
4. Entered Safe Mode
5. Cleared cache through safe mode
6. It's strictly the media (music) volume. Not the ringer or notifications or anything else.
7. My buttons are not stuck because the icon would show the buttons turning it down. There are no warnings or indications of the volume turning down.
8. I tried with 3D sound, the equalizer, Do Not Disturb, on and off with no results
9. My apps do not auto update so there are no changes.
10. Any new apps, I cleared the storage data and cache and uninstalled.
11. It happens regardless of whatever app is playing media (default music app, Spotify, Youtube, etc).so it's not the apps themselves
12. I've tried downloading alternative music and video apps.
13. It doesn't matter what kind of headphones. Bluetooth, wired, even without headphones it does it. Tried multiple headphones and different bluetooth sources to no avail.
14. Haven't done a factory reset because I have some things I can't backup (I've heard many others already tried this and it did not solve the issue.)
15. I'm not rooted.
16. I've tried both bluetooth audio and regular audio lockers to prevent volume going down but no dice.

There's probably a few more things that I've tried but couldn't remember to type them down. The only thing that seems to fit any kind of pattern or makes sense is something called "Audio Focus" or "Audio Ducking. Where the volume will lower for another app or if you get a notification. I'm not even getting notifications and it still goes crazy. Just for giggles, I turned off all of my notifications from the app menu and still it persists. I've even found apps like Rocket Music Player and a few others that can change the focus but those didn't work either. I think also it seems most people having this issue seems to be with newer phones so maybe it has to do with Android 8.0 or higher?

In any case, I'm still looking through Google, forums, Youtube and hoping someone finds an answer to where this issue can be fixed.

Thank you.

If others are reporting it as well, and in the absence of no other solutions or workarounds, could be a bug or something that LG needs to fix with their LG G7 Sprint version with Android 8.0?

As I've stated, it's not phone specific. Many people from multiple brands have been having this issue with no solution.This is a universal issue recently with android. I posted this here in the hopes that maybe someone has answers after someone has tried all of the suggestions the internet has offered so far.

Upvote 0
I've spent weeks Googling this issue. I've seen people have this issue across so many different forums with no solutions. LG G7 Sprint Android 8.0

To describe it, the media volume fluctuates randomly. It can go down for a few seconds to a few minutes and then spike back up to normal volume and drop back down. Usually when I start and stop the music it will sometimes go back to normal but will then continue to fluctuate not long after.

It doesn't matter what kind of phone it is and it's not specific to any app. The only responses I usually find are pretty much the tech support answers of restarting the phone, try different headphones, ect.

So I'm going try and remember and list all of the things I've tried along with many other people to no avail.

1. I've rebooted the phone
2. Took the battery out
4. Entered Safe Mode
5. Cleared cache through safe mode
6. It's strictly the media (music) volume. Not the ringer or notifications or anything else.
7. My buttons are not stuck because the icon would show the buttons turning it down. There are no warnings or indications of the volume turning down.
8. I tried with 3D sound, the equalizer, Do Not Disturb, on and off with no results
9. My apps do not auto update so there are no changes.
10. Any new apps, I cleared the storage data and cache and uninstalled.
11. It happens regardless of whatever app is playing media (default music app, Spotify, Youtube, etc).so it's not the apps themselves
12. I've tried downloading alternative music and video apps.
13. It doesn't matter what kind of headphones. Bluetooth, wired, even without headphones it does it. Tried multiple headphones and different bluetooth sources to no avail.
14. Haven't done a factory reset because I have some things I can't backup (I've heard many others already tried this and it did not solve the issue.)
15. I'm not rooted.
16. I've tried both bluetooth audio and regular audio lockers to prevent volume going down but no dice.

There's probably a few more things that I've tried but couldn't remember to type them down. The only thing that seems to fit any kind of pattern or makes sense is something called "Audio Focus" or "Audio Ducking. Where the volume will lower for another app or if you get a notification. I'm not even getting notifications and it still goes crazy. Just for giggles, I turned off all of my notifications from the app menu and still it persists. I've even found apps like Rocket Music Player and a few others that can change the focus but those didn't work either. I think also it seems most people having this issue seems to be with newer phones so maybe it has to do with Android 8.0 or higher?

In any case, I'm still looking through Google, forums, Youtube and hoping someone finds an answer to where this issue can be fixed.

Thank you.
Hello Lurker. Am pretty sure you may not be even logging in to here anymore - especially 5 years after the happening of this conversation - but am here on a Motorola phone (g7 play) with an Android 10 which in the past 2-3 weeks it's been giving me an increasing number of issues regarding to volume fluctuations when playing music on apps. To describe it I can only copy and paste what you wrote on here about your phone's problems <<It can go down for a few seconds to a few minutes and then spike back up to normal volume and drop back dow>>.
I'm very much wondering and hoping you found the way to sort the problem out and have a solution for my one before I hammer it out as a last resort, since I was almost going to undertake all those innumerable (and useless) different ways you already tried, but now I know they didn't solve your problem, and that for some reason am expecting them not be working on my issue too.
Please tell me you choose a better way than hammering to sort your phone out because ATM after reading you I actually have no clue whatsoever of what can I do to fix mine. Have another Motorola's phone of a way older model than this one, that comes with Android 8 and it does have or gives 0 issues whatsoever to its volume when playing tunes using the same music app I have installed on to both devices. Knowing this obviously made it even more clear in my head that the problem I have is on this device only and it has anything to do with where or on to what I did plugged the phone in when the volume begin to fault. Also, it all started with the volume drastically decreasing only on a very random basis and most of the time happening when I was either turning the volume up or down and only doing so when connected to my Bluetooth speaker. Now the issues gone so bad that the volume decreases or cuts off a lot like on a literally every 40sec song basis, and it's doing so even when playing music at a medium/low volume on the speaker phone. One more thing that I noticed while standing in front of my speaker set when the problem occurred is that each time the volume decreases it mainly goes down the most from it's right front speaker and way less from it's left speaker and from the woofer. Changing the phone output settings from mono to combined audio does not too make any difference whatsoever. Please someone's help me out. Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones