• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Memory Query

leeland48

Am I missing something here surly its better to buy motorola 4g with a 64gb Sd card than the motorola g with the 16gb internal memory ? Well that's what I was told at the Phones 4u shop.

In general on newer versions of the OS, you can no longer move apps to the SD card, so the built in memory is all you get for apps. If you need the space for things like media then you are fine with the SD card. If you plan on installing large games then the more memory might be needed. If you are going to root, then there are options to move apps to SD however. BTW, you have to use them to unlock the bootloader before rooting though, so they know you did it and voided your warranty. There is no putting it back to stock if a warranty issue comes up.

In general on newer versions of the OS, you can no longer move apps to the SD card, so the built in memory is all you get for apps. If you need the space for things like media then you are fine with the SD card. If you plan on installing large games then the more memory might be needed. If you are going to root, then there are options to move apps to SD however. BTW, you have to use them to unlock the bootloader before rooting though, so they know you did it and voided your warranty. There is no putting it back to stock if a warranty issue comes up.
Thank you for explaining that for me.

I have a 32GB SD card, and about ~1.5GB of apps on it.

Many apps allow the "Move to SD" function, but they only move some of their data. Downloading a ~1GB game may still end up using nearly 1GB of internal storage and almost nothing on the SD card, even after tapping "Move to SD".

The 8GB Moto G LTE has about ~5GB of usable space. It doesn't matter if you pop a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB SD card into it. The internal storage will fill up very quickly, and your SD card will be mostly empty.

I have a 32GB SD card, and about ~1.5GB of apps on it.

Many apps allow the "Move to SD" function, but they only move some of their data. Downloading a ~1GB game may still end up using nearly 1GB of internal storage and almost nothing on the SD card, even after tapping "Move to SD".

The 8GB Moto G LTE has about ~5GB of usable space. It doesn't matter if you pop a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB SD card into it. The internal storage will fill up very quickly, and your SD card will be mostly empty.
Thanks looks like I will go for the motorola g 16gb then.

Thanks looks like I will go for the motorola g 16gb then.

The SD card comes in handy in the following situations:

* taking tons of pictures (but the camera is only 5MP).

* taking tons of video

* you have a large Music or Video collection you want to bring with you (tons of MP3s, for example).

The default Motorola camera app will save photos and videos directly to the SD card. If you use another camera app (such as the Google one), you'll have to go to Settings -> Storage and run the "Move media" function over and over for it to scan for photos and video to move to SD from the internal storage.

But yeah, when I downloaded around 5GB of games (and filled up my internal storage), I was able to tap "Move to SD" for most of them. I made sure every game & and app that supported it was "moved" to the SD card. It made very little difference to my internal storage.

Back
Top Bottom