• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro Script killing wifi

TBotNik

Dec 29, 2011
All,

I've been having trouble with inet access via hotspot on my phone. Being out in BFE NW of Greenville, TX, there are very few inet connection options, so without inet for 6 months and needed the phone hotspot to work desperately, but nothing.

Running Kubuntu 14.04 Linux, on Acer Aspire 7739Z laptop and phone is LG G Stylo with Droid 6.0 Kernal 3.10.49.

Thinking this was a Linux problem, wrote this up at:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques.../wifi-disabled-by-metropcs-script-4175611950/

Just got inet in last Fri, so was able to connect wired, then disconnected the wired cable and ran connect script to connect to my Netis wifi router and it connected.

That told me the problem is something MetroPCS has/had set on my phone, not allowing it to connect.

On the phone I use the "Free WiFi HotSpot" but now that someone configured the phone to run Metros WiFi HotSpot, it no longer connects through the Free app, even though I removed the Metro WiFi HotSpot (at least I think I did).

Assistance in finding and eliminating the app(s), file(s) or setting(s) that is making the phone think it can only use Metro's IP address (assumption of the problem), will be helpful and let me solve this.

If you encountered this, please let me know what to look for!

Thanks!

TBNK

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones