• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SD card gone!

motog

Pulled my phone out of my pocket and had a notification saying something like 'unmount SD card before removing' ? ES file explorer didn't show the card.
Anyhow I decided that perhaps it was a poor contact with the card, so I removed it and gave it a wipe (looked fine) and put it back.
Seems like the 32gb Transcend card has bit the dust, so I have just ordered a Kingston replacement, luckily I have everything I lost stored elsewhere!
Is it common for these cards to fail like this?

Not common, but it does sometimes happen. That's why it's important to have a backup (or one reason - phones can also be lost).

Have you tried the card in another device (or with a card reason on a computer)? If another device can see it you might be able to recovery the card, even if you have to reformat it.

I will remove the card when I power down the phone and try it in my PC.
I have all my music and photos to put back but I had moved some apps with data to the card!

Just tried the micro SD in my PC - dead as a dodo, PC doesn't even know its plugged in which is the same result as my moto g
Hope its replacement is more reliable!

Alan

While Transcend isn't the worst, try a bigger name brand card this time for hopefully better results- Kingston, Samsung, PNY etc. Check the warranty on the card, the ones with the longest warranties are more likely to last for a while and not give you problems. 5-year or lifetime warranty is best.
edit- I see you've already ordered a Kingston which is good.
Also buy your SD cards only from reputable sources. Saving a few bucks isn't worth it if the card turns out to be counterfeit as they often do from Ebay or some Amazon sellers. Best place to buy them is from a major store like Best Buy or Micro Center if you have this option available in your area.

I received my new Kingston card and normal service has been resumed!
Talking to a mate who had a card go down, he wrapped the card up and put it in a small zip loc plastic bag (to avoid moisture) then put it in the freezer for a few hours, quickly plugging it in to the computer data was retrieved off it.
I did give this a go with it already inserted into a USB adapter to minimise warm up and this time the computer did know it was there - but it still didn't work though!
Might be worth a try if anyone has a card go down.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom