• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help milestone wont boot up

When i try to boot up, the phone wont get past the Motorola logo, it sits on it for awhile then just goes black and tries to boot up again. :(. I rooted it and turned the CPU to a max of 1100MHz, thats when it shut down and wont start again. If anyone has an idea or knows how to fix this please tell me :)

You could just flash your ROM again.

I guess you've been messing with the 10overclock file, no? If you would have used the app Milestone overclock (which is a good way to set a new CPU) the changes wouldn't have lasted and would have returned to the original after a reboot. What did you exactly do? Put the CPU up to 1100MHz without changing the Vsel?

What ROM are you on? If it's CM7 you could just extract an original 10overclock file and push that to your phone through ADB.

I was running stock rom, I tried flashing stock onto it but it still doesn't boot all the way. I was using Motomizer I think is what it was called. I musta changed it to 1100MHz without changing the Vsel, cause idk what that is...

I was running stock rom, I tried flashing stock onto it but it still doesn't boot all the way. I was using Motomizer I think is what it was called. I musta changed it to 1100MHz without changing the Vsel, cause idk what that is...

Factory reset then if flashing ROM doesn't help: shut down the phone, press and hold down x-button and start your phone. After the M-logo there should be a menu with an option to do a factory reset.

Factory reset then if flashing ROM doesn't help: shut down the phone, press and hold down x-button and start your phone. After the M-logo there should be a menu with an option to do a factory reset.
Alternatively, Shut down the phone, press and hold the camera button, and then press the power button. When the M-logo comes up you can release the camera button. After the M-logo you should see a triangle. Quickly hold the volume up button and then the camera button. Then you should see the menu that Alta was mentioning.

yea thats what i did haha, still wont boot up. i also tried flashing a different rom thru the sd card, but when i apply sdcard:update.zip, it gives me this:
E:cant open /cache/recovery/command
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

so yea idk whats going on....

yea thats what i did haha, still wont boot up. i also tried flashing a different rom thru the sd card, but when i apply sdcard:update.zip, it gives me this:
E:cant open /cache/recovery/command
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

so yea idk whats going on....

What ROM are you on and what are you trying to flash? And also tell us what phone model you have.

What doesn't work for you? The factory reset or not getting into that menu to do a factory reset?

What ROM are you on and what are you trying to flash? And also tell us what phone model you have.

What doesn't work for you? The factory reset or not getting into that menu to do a factory reset?

its a Canadian telus motorola milestone(i have it unlocked so i can use Bell on it, also i upgraded to 2.2.1 earlier)
it was using the stock rom when it happened, i have tried flashing the stock rom and one called Steel Droid, if you have any roms you recommend i try please tell me :). what doesnt work to fix my problem is the factory reset, after i reset from that menu, i try to reboot but it gets stuck on the M.

Hold down power+gallery key and the triangle with the ! inside should come up
If it does, hold down the camera key and this should bring up a menu
Use the volume key to select your choice, and choose reboot. Press gallery key to select it.
Its a little tricky and kinda fiddly, it also doesn't always work. Just keep trying.
Hope this helps.

Hold down power+gallery key and the triangle with the ! inside should come up
If it does, hold down the camera key and this should bring up a menu
Use the volume key to select your choice, and choose reboot. Press gallery key to select it.
Its a little tricky and kinda fiddly, it also doesn't always work. Just keep trying.
Hope this helps.

whats the gallery key? yea i have got into the '!' menu and done factory resets and failed reboots but it just wont boot past the M logo...

so i did that, i am now able to flash roms onto it and have boot up all the way :) but for some reason the phone doesnt get cell service, idk it might just be the roms. is there a way a can flash a stock rom and unroot it?

Be sure to flash ROM's only for your Milestone, not for the Droid. A good ROM is CM7 (which is Gingerbread).
CyanogenMod 7 for Milestone A853 | android.doshaska.net

Download Androidiani Recovery and put the Openrecovery and update.zip both in the root of your sd card. Shut down your phone and do the same again as you did to factory reset but instead of choosing factory reset choose apply update.zip. This will take you into an new menu and you should see a menu with 'basebands' there. Go there and select Canada. This should solve your cell service problem.
androidiani-openrecovery - Androidiani OpenRecovery for Milestone, modded for eclair and froyo - Google Project Hosting

Mine wouldn't boot past the M logo either, I had to wipe my phone. If your ok wiping it save everything to your memory card, but I'm afraid contacts on your sim will be deleted. The gallery key is next to the camera key, its the little one with 3 lines on it. There's an option to wipe your phone in the recovery menu. You might have a virus, careful when downloading apps. Wiping my phone worked and it started working again.
Hope this helps.

so i did that, i am now able to flash roms onto it and have boot up all the way :) but for some reason the phone doesnt get cell service, idk it might just be the roms. is there a way a can flash a stock rom and unroot it?
Follow Alta's instructions for installing Androidiani. In addition to the basebands menu, Androidiani also has a menu option for rooting your phone.

I am now able to flash Roms onto it, it just doesn't get service even after I changed the basband to Canada. It needs to register on the Bell network. Could it just be that I need a different rom?

I am now able to flash Roms onto it, it just doesn't get service even after I changed the basband to Canada. It needs to register on the Bell network. Could it just be that I need a different rom?

okay, so this is what shows up on the screen when i apply a baseband: "BP panic ID 0:00010A05. BP core dump ongoing, please do not remove battery." then it goes blank then does it all over again, i have to reflash the rom to make it boot up again.

You need to tell us what rom you are flashing onto your phone.

Back