• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Missed software update

klymax

Lurker
Got an OTA notification that an update was available for my MyTouch4g but switched to close another application and lost the notification. Now it doesn't come back. Any clues before I go ahead and install the Gingerbread update from the web? I tried the *#*#checkin#*#* but that doesn't do anything.

'checkin' will put you back in the queue for updates so you will be re-notified sooner than waiting for the OTA to roll back around to you. You should see it again shortly.

OK Thanks. Is it recommended that the OTA update be used as opposed to the downloaded update? Trust is obviously an issue.

If you are sure that the downloaded update is just a leaked version of the official (make sure you check build numbers) then it makes no difference. Of course you do run a risk if you get an "unofficial" version from a questionable source.

I'm assuming you missed the initial Gingerbread OTA update. Since this is a revision to the original T-Mobile Gingerbread upgrade that was cancelled in the middle of the upgrade campaign a few months ago; I don't know that there is actually a legitimate copy available of the newest 2.3.4+ build for MT4G outside of T-Mobile. Sit tight, I think they just started this round of updates on the 20th of December.

I want you to try this- go to: menu, settings, about phone, software updates, "check now". See what it offers you. There is a HTC security update available. I'm running software number 2.32.531.1 with the HTC update I just ran 20 minutes ago. let me know what your phone says.

I'm glad I didn't wait for the original OTA Gingerbread upgrade or I probably would never have received it. (I used a verified copy available online at the time) Supposedly T-Mobile had pulled the OTA update program to fix a few bugs and add a few other things (GMAIL updates, etc) to the original 2.3.4 for MT4G. We'll see what happens. After all, ICS is right around the corner & I hope they port it to MT4G as I'm not buying another android phone. Mine is less than a year old.

Back
Top Bottom