• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Mix/Match ROM and Kernel?

I just re-flashed stock the other day to ensure PDAnet worked (I was having problems with it on Black Plague, probably id10-T and not related to BP), but the overall phone performance is so miserable compared to what I'm used to on BP I was thinking about going back. My question is, what happens if I just flash the kernel and not the entire ROM? I'm trying to avoid going through the whole backup/restore process yet again, but would I still have to end up doing that just flashing the kernel (going by RECOMMENDED installation)?

Thanks for the help!

That's like putting 5.0L turbocharged engine in a Hyundai elantra or quad core i7 in a NetBook.. Im no pro here but I can say I feel confident you would notice a performanc e increase but probably at the cost of stability

i ran a root stock v6 with the BP kernel for weeks and no reboots...but the battery life still kinda sucked. 2 days ago i flashed the Halo Rom over top and had a 16hr@67% batt life.

The plague kernel could work wonderfully with stock or horrid. That kernel on Broken Out is terrible, but it's smooth as butter with BP, so it depends on the rom and your configuration.

Give it a try and let us know how you like it. If nothing else, you can restore a nandroid or reflash stock to overwrite the kernel.

Yo Mickey if you do than please up the results though, I use Holo and im lovin it but I get shit battery so if kernal swaps are giving results let me know thanks..

All right guys, thanks for the input. I'll probably wait a few days before I flash the kernel because I need reliable internet access for now, but when it happens I'll post the results back on this thread. Just for the sake of total disclosure I've been running Holo Launcher on top of straight stock (i.e. only have programs frozen, not uninstalled) so really this is just an experiment (1) in whether or not the underlying stock system with Holo on top can be improved and (2) whether I still have problems with PDAnet on BP.

Just wanted to post an update to anyone interested: I flashed Plague kernel this morning over stock, and everything seems to be fine. Underclocked to 1.296 on lagfree/noop, I haven't had any stability issues, and the phone is running more smoothly than with the stock kernel.

Just in case anyone else wants to try, make sure you wipe cache and dalvik first, but there's no need to wipe data.

Nice one! I had a feeling you'd have a good experience with plague and stock.... It seems to work with most of our roms well.

Back
Top Bottom