• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MLB At Bat App...No HDMI VIDEO

Rtbob

Lurker
May 4, 2014
I have this MLB "At Bat" app where I can watch live and archived videos on my Tab 2. Last season I was able to connect my HDMI adapter and watch the games on my TV. This year when I attempt to watch a live game or a archived video on my TV I get this message "Error...can not play video." I've got no where with MLB. I can view on my TV everything on my tab...but just not live or archived games. My tab OS was upgraded last November. I just figure out why I can't watch games now. When a game is playing on my tab, when I plug the HDMI in the tab, it freezes up.

Did you ever resolve this? I have a galaxy S3 and S5 and the Samsung HDTV Smart Adapter. Other video streaming apps work, like Watch ESPN, but I get the same thing as you with MLB.tv. It is actually the only thing I have found not working through the HDMI which makes me think it is on the program side. I never tried it until last week, so I can't say it worked last season.

Upvote 0
My Archos tablet started doing the same thing this season. I just thought it was old technology not working properly. As soon as the HDMI cable was plugged in the video would go blank or freeze or put up an error message. I'll see if I can repeat it. I gave up trying a while back.
I also got no response from the mlb.TV app people when I emailed them about it.
Seems like a coding issue. Probably written in because of a backdoor deal between mobile carriers & cable providers.
Hahaha.
Still. It totally sucks.

Upvote 0
I am sure it's the At Bat app. Everything appears on the tv but the live game or an archived one. YouTube plays fine. I got nowhere with MLB. It must be some contractual deal with Samsung (that's the TV I have) or Comcast my carrier. The At Bat app on my TV has buffering issues unlike my tab. I got a router range extender and connected an Ethernet cable to my tv. It seems to have reduced the buffering. May get a Roku 3 if this buffering starts to wear on my nerves.

Upvote 0
The Chromecast works. You get it on your WiFi, install an app on your phone or tablet or PC. When you start to play a compatible program there is an icon to send it to the Chromecast. I tried it last night for MLB and it works. There are not as many Chromecast apps as you might think, but for me it was about the MLB app only. $40 for it.

Upvote 0
Excellent. The problem I have with not watching a game on TV via my Samsung Tab 2 10.1 is that the Tab does not buffer while the Samsung MLB TV app buffers and then totally drops out giving me a network error message. I even bought a Linksys WIFI extender and connected it to my TV with an ethernet cable. I gather you have no buffer problems with the Chromcast? Do you have a smart tv and if so did you have buffering problems with the wifi MLB TV app?

Upvote 0
I experience exactly what you had in the first post with the Error..cannot play video when I used my Samsung HDMI adapter. I did not have any trouble buffereing. I have a Smart Blu Ray player which is wireless that sometimes gets its MLB.tv quality adjusted while watching because of the bandwidth changes. That device is in the furthest room from my WiFi router, and that is what I blame for that. The Chromecast is in a room closer and it was fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones