• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MMS and 4g changes

your 4g icon will stay on during calls that's normal as you have the ability to talk and be on the Web, as for your mms issue I remember having that issue and for some reason and fix on its own.
He is on CDMA phone, there is no ability to talk and browse web, other then on wifi. GSM can do that though.

Well it seems over LTE on the S3 it is now able to do that.

Reactions: Mexigga
Upvote 0
He is on CDMA phone, there is no ability to talk and browse web, other then on wifi. GSM can do that though.

Well it seems over LTE on the S3 it is now able to do that.

I was hotspotting my tablet at work yesterday and my nephew called me to ask me about a tablet on sale at Walmart. So while I was talking to him I brought up the webpage and we talked about the specs and stuff and I did a search to make sure the cheap Chinese tablet came with the Play Store installed and then it hit me that I shouldn't be able to talk and surf at the same time. At first I thought it had something to do with the hotspot but then I opened chrome on my phone and everything worked. So I'm wondering is this new or have we been able to do this for a while and I just didn't know. I haven't tried this since my days with AT&T 3 years ago.

Upvote 0
When I talk on the phone I can use my data just not Lte. As soon as I answer the call it goes straight to HSPA+.
That never worked on the esteem, believe me I tested it a couple times:p

I am curious if it is using the volte which is why this works. If that is the case then even all your phone calls are running over the lte which is very awesome.

Keenan the difference with yours is the lte is a data only connection in order for the talk part to work it kicks down to the 3g radio/hspa.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the feedback. Calling and surfing on my s3 was new to me ...

Anyone experiencing problems with mms sending while on wifi? My 4g would kick on and mms would send but no more...

My speed however improved today.

it's a samsung thing, CDMA and GSM, I've had that same issue on my Tmobile S2, my AT&T S3, my Galaxy Note 2, even my brand new S4, the only problem is now, if I'm on a wifi call and I'm expecting an MMS, I have to disconnect my wifi call, then call back with regular cellular service, and wait for the mms to download. Also, it depends on how strong the networks data services are where your located.

Upvote 0
No it's just how the chipset handles more than one radio a time so it's not because of VoLTE even when forcing EvDO you can still do simultaneous talk and web
That seems very strange, I can understand the LTE radio allowing connection, it is based on GSM tech but CDMA does not allow voice and data simultaneously.:thinking:

Ok I just did some checking, I placed the phone into cdma auto and tried making a call and surfing the web, web was disconnected.

Upvote 0
That seems very strange, I can understand the LTE radio allowing connection, it is based on GSM tech but CDMA does not allow voice and data simultaneously.:thinking:

Ok I just did some checking, I placed the phone into cdma auto and tried making a call and surfing the web, web was disconnected.

Its using the other radio when doing it but yea im not sure why it disconnected you

Upvote 0
Its using the other radio when doing it but yea im not sure why it disconnected you

Maybe because when you set the phone to CDMA auto it doesn't connect to eHRPD
I set the phone to cdma auto so it could not connect via LTE but as I thought the simultaneous voice and data does not work over cdma.

The reason voice + data is working on the S3 is because voice is over the cdma and data is over the LTE. If and when VOLTE is active it will also work because voice will be running as if its a data stream.

Reactions: Mexigga
Upvote 0
I set the phone to cdma auto so it could not connect via LTE but as I thought the simultaneous voice and data does not work over cdma.

The reason voice + data is working on the S3 is because voice is over the cdma and data is over the LTE. If and when VOLTE is active it will also work because voice will be running as if its a data stream.

Erm the Qualcomm multi-mode radio chipsets uses both a 1x and a seperate EvDO radio but when setting to CDMA auto I'm pretty sure it wont do SV-DO when I had the test I also went into test mode and changed something that I don't remember since this was a while ago

Upvote 0
Erm the Qualcomm multi-mode radio chipsets uses both a 1x and a seperate EvDO radio but when setting to CDMA auto I'm pretty sure it wont do SV-DO when I had the test I also went into test mode and changed something that I don't remember since this was a while ago
I could be wrong, heck it happens all the time:p, But SV-DO on CDMA is NOT supported. I dont know much about multi-mode Qualcomm chipsets so while it could be separate 1x and EvDO radio's I thought they incorporated them all so they would not need to run multiples. I am fairly sure on GSM they have all including LTE, in the newer of course, phones hspa and lte in one radio chipset. One of the reasons that the gsm has to drop down into hspa during phone calls.

Oh, and I set it to CDMA auto so it would do both 1x and EVDO. I did notice that its connection type was EVDO rev.A08
I think it was 08 but certain on rev.A.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong, heck it happens all the time:p, But SV-DO on CDMA is NOT supported. I dont know much about multi-mode Qualcomm chipsets so while it could be separate 1x and EvDO radio's I thought they incorporated them all so they would not need to run multiples. I am fairly sure on GSM they have all including LTE, in the newer of course, phones hspa and lte in one radio chipset. One of the reasons that the gsm has to drop down into hspa during phone calls.

Oh, and I set it to CDMA auto so it would do both 1x and EVDO. I did notice that its connection type was EVDO rev.A08
I think it was 08 but certain on rev.A.
SV-DO is UE enabled and then the radios are setup like 1x then EvDO/LTE since only one needs to be on at a time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones