• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MMS picture quality

Whenever I send a good quality pic as MMS, the person that gets the text gets a picture that has degraded in quality. I've tried texting myself a picture and confirmed that it is not the same quality. Any suggestions? I've already setup "no file size limit" in Handcents. The same thing happens with stock Messaging app.

Remember, you have a 5MP camera that has to scale down the picture to fit on the MMS protocol. Also the persons phone that receives the MMS if it cant process whats left of the 5MP picture, then it will scale it down again on more time. (different network conversion (CDMA / GSM) also affects the result.

I have tested MMS with BH2 -> G1 / BH2 - N1 / BH2 - Galaxy and it works fine with good quality.

Let me know if you have more details and maybe I can look in to it.

this is what I know. If I send a 1.5MP picture, I get back a 50K picture back. It somehow get de-graded. When I used to have an unlocked iPhone, I get back what I send (i.e. send 2MP picture, get back 2MP picture). So, is it Tmobile that converts it or is it our phone? Handcents is set not to limit MMS size. Baffled.

even though the file is 2.5 MB, The OS is compressing it and shrunk it down to 90K, then when I send it to myself, if then gets shrunken down to 44K. Its double jeopardy. Don't get me wrong, I love my BH2 over unlocked iPhone 3G, but the iPhone on TMobile will allow Full pictures to be sent as MMS. This shows that it is not network (TMobile) dependent. It is limited by our phone. I guess I can always email it, but MMS is faster. Will post pics later.

Back
Top Bottom