• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile Hotspot no longer working

Hi,

I used to have an old Galaxy S4 mini, from which I would always use the hotspot to connect my laptop to the internet. The phone died, I had to get a new one (Galaxy A3, Android 6.0.1) but now it says I have only limited connectivity on my laptop. No web pages can be opened. The troubleshooter doesn't work either.

The security settings are WPA2-PSK, the same as on my old phone - never had any problems.

Any idea what this could be?

Thank you!
Clueless

UPDATE: No other devices can connect to the phone, unless I make it an open connection. Once there is no password required, all devices can connect to my phone.

Last edited:
Do you have a WiFi tethering plan with your carrier? With the new phone the carrier might have to activate the hotspot tethering feature. Are you with Verizon or AT&T or something? That's just a guess, because I'm not in the US.

Hey - no other devices can connect to the phone, unless I make it an open connection. Once there is no password required, all devices can connect to my phone.

Try using other security options than WPA2-PSK to see if your laptop could have access to Internet.

My phone only has the options WPA2-PSK and "none". Or do you mean I need to change settings on my laptop?

Also, my old phone also had WPA2-PSK and there were no problems connecting from the same laptop (and other laptops).

Try restarting the computer a couple of times. If you have any firewall or antivirus with built-in firewall, you can temporarily disable it to test.

Hi - thanks for zyour advice. I just tried this, but it's not working with a password. Only if I use an open connection without a password will it work.

It could be a driver issue with your laptop's wireless receiver. Try to see if there is newer driver for it.

You laptop can use your mobile's hotspot in open mode, but it doesn't work with WPA on, it means that your laptop's wireless device doesn't support the encryption method that your phone uses because its driver is outdated. The newer revisions of WPA might not be compatible with old devices without proper drivers.

Back
Top Bottom