• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Most calls sound "autotuned"

scoson

Anybody else experience this, people on the line sound autotuned, highly synthesized? Not all calls do but generally this is the case for me. I can barely understand people when this happens, I have to hold the phone away from my ear a bit. All firmware is up to date, is there anything I can do or just put up with it?

You're probably near the edge of the coverage area of the tower you're connected to. What you hear is called "going digital", the digital equivalent of noise. Your carrier doesn't have good coverage for you phone in your location.

The only practical solution for your problem is to tell VM that a) they knew where you lived when you signed up and b) they knew (or are expected to know) that they didn't have decent coverage where you are for the phone they sold you - so you want out of the contract with no ETF. (If you're within the "trial period", just turn the phone in and pay for the time you've had it.) It falls under warranty of merchantability (which might not apply where you are - but most salesdroids don't know about things like that).

Then find a carrier that has solid coverage with their bottom-of-the-line phones in the area you need coverage. (Talk to friends, listen to their phones, etc.)

Thanks for giving an answer but the weird thing is, I've already been using Virgin Mobile for about 3 yrs with an Optimus V. Never experienced this here at home or anywhere else with that one. I know at least if I'm talking with my gf, (she has a Samsung Victory with Virgin Mobile) that she sounds fine but nearly all other calls are just weird. I just got this phone the day after Christmas cause I lost the V. Not really complaining either, it was only $20 and I got to keep my grandfathered $25 account too. I've been updating prl and profile every couple or 3 days also.

Back
Top Bottom