• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help moto xt1097 - battery wont charge past 33%, can't find network, won't factory reset

L

LizzleTizzle

Hi,

I have a moto xt1097 (2nd gen 2014) with Android 6.0. It was working fine yesterday morning. Now it
-won't charge past 33%
-won't factory reset (possibly because it needs a solid charge) either through the settings or button setting on boot (ie turn phone off, volume button for 3s then power)
-home button and app select button vibrate on touch but do nothing whereas the back button still works
-i can't pull down my phone settings menu from the top (but i can access everything from the app)
-it won't connect to my network, but the wifi works fine.

I've cycled the power over a dozen times. On one of the boots it accessed it seemed to function properly and within a few seconds went back to dysfunctioning as described. So I suspect something is running.

I haven't installed anything today. I downloaded email and a few pdfs from a trusted site and surfed the web for a bit. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Might I have a virus? Software conflict? Thoughts?

"Virus" is very unlikely. For one thing, there aren't any viruses for Android. - it's trojans you have to watch out for (malware hidden inside some other app, which infects you when you install the app) rather than viruses (malware that can spread and install itself), and if you've not installed any apps recently then you won't have picked up an infection.

Software conflict is more possible, but usually rebooting fixes things, and that would not prevent a factory reset through recovery mode (because when you are in recovery you are not running android at all). Likewise if you turn the phone off and it won't charge beyond 33% then it's not software (or at least, if it is it's the really low-level firmware rather than Android software). If you know how to boot this model into "safe mode" (it will involve pressing something at some point while booting up - I'm not familiar enough with Moto to know what or when) then that will disable all user-installed apps, leaving only system apps. That can be useful in narrowing down the cause of a problem (if it works in safe mode but not in normal then the problem is one of your apps) and in fixing it (once you work out what apps is responsible, you can uninstall it or whatever from safe mode).

If you put it into recovery mode (which I assume is what the "button setting on boot" is for) you could try wiping the cache partition. Less likely to fix things than a full factory reset, but does no harm (no data loss) and sometimes works.

But I admit that the not charging properly is the most worrying. Especially if it won't charge higher even when switched off that could imply a hardware problem rather than "just" software. The collection of problems together is weird, but that one in particular strikes me as the one that's least easy to explain as a software issue. But best to eliminate software options before assuming the worst.

what are you using to charge it?
OEM wall wart charger?
"compatible" brand x wall wart charger?
computer USB port?

try something different...

Back
Top Bottom