• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto Z upgrade--Moto G6, or older V20 or LG G6

Hello, I am new to the forum, and have some comparison questions. I currently have a Moto Z, which is beginning to experience battery problems. I have had flagship phones in the past, or near flagships(Galaxy S5, Moto MAXX2, now the Moto Z). Phones are getting much better, but I am not sure if a new midrange still beats out on old flagships.

Phones I am considering:

Moto G6
Moto X4
LG V20
LG G6

Anything else?

Importance:
good camera
water proofing is nice
good battery

Anyway, just wanted to pick the brains here. I have read so many articles and watched many youtube videos. I like the V20, but it is nearly 2 years old, even if I find a "new" version on Ebay. The LG G6 looks great, and I have found some new or slightly used for $300 or less, but that is getting near the top of my range. There are many things I would rather have for $900 than a phone! :)

Price point $300 or less. G6

Hello, I am new to the forum, and have some comparison questions. I currently have a Moto Z, which is beginning to experience battery problems. I have had flagship phones in the past, or near flagships(Galaxy S5, Moto MAXX2, now the Moto Z). Phones are getting much better, but I am not sure if a new midrange still beats out on old flagships.

Phones I am considering:

Moto G6
Moto X4
LG V20
LG G6

Anything else?

Importance:
good camera
water proofing is nice
good battery

Anyway, just wanted to pick the brains here. I have read so many articles and watched many youtube videos. I like the V20, but it is nearly 2 years old, even if I find a 'new' version on Ebay. The LG G6 looks great, and I have found some new or slightly used for $300 or less, but that is getting near the top of my range. There are many things I would rather have for $900 than a phone!
smilie.png

Price point $300 or less. G6

The LG V20 still on 7.0
The Moto G6, LG G6 & Moto X4 has Oreo

V20 over the G6 mostly on the other specs of the device - if the money is the same or not an issue.

I forget what the Moto X4 has but I'll say this instead. Moto lost me mostly when they removed the headphone jacks. I love the Audio out of my V20 - for a mobile device. Keep that in mind, it is via headphone jack one of the best mobile devices I have heard and nothing seems to come close without extra hardware.

Now - that said there is extra hardware out there. A few companies now make a USB-C power headphone dac/amp system that is of course a bit more capable than what the V20 will do. But it's like carring another cigarette pack with your mobile if you want to use that. Again it's mostly the amp capability there but those devices exist.

I don't want to do any of that.

V20 also has the second screen that most people lamented - I have gotten to love it. always on time is nice (other mobiles do this now) and I like the ability to have media controls on the second screen while other crap is on the main. This is big for music while doing other stuff on the mobile.

I figure if I keep my V20 for another year - and I see no reason not to - I might get a V40 when those come out. Moto has to do something to re-gain me as a looker - and I used to love my Moto devices. I will never buy a samsuck ever again.

Have the Moto X4, A1 version. Had issues updating to 8.0 and 8.1. OTA updates either said I was on the current version, even though I was 2 updates behind or would fail on install. Had to manually flash. Overall, not a bad phone but something about it made me just not like it.
Had LG G6. Liked it, good camera, great battery life but didn't like the fact that it didn't have a traditional recovery. No big deal to some. Sold it.
Current daily driver is Moto G6. In my mind, can't beat it for the price. Good camera, great battery life, probably won't be high on Moto update list though.
Both the Moto X4 and G6 have headphone jack

The G6 would be my pick. I have the V20 and I like it but the battery life and screen are better on the G6. My wife gets 2 full days on hers and shes watching videos, surfing the web, FB and the rest. If I do what she does the V20 is done by 6-7PM. I have to carry a battery back up charger in the car

I hear you. Battery life gets worse over time on a phone.
If I play Fortnite on my V20. It sucks my battery to death.

I use the Moto E4 Plus and all specs are quite nice, has TWRP + custom ROMs, a headphone jack and a massive battery I get an avg of 3 days use..

Back
Top Bottom