• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola killed the milestone with froyo as The Motorola Milestone/Droid cannot live without ecclair

I have purchased my Motorola Milestone back in March 2011. Since then lots of things have changed in the mobile tech sphere. In fact the frenetic pace at which technology is moving, we can cling on to one handset for not more than 3 months and suddenly we find we are left behind in the race for the best technology in a mobile phone.
For a person like me who can upgrade to a newer phone only once in 1 or 2 years, I have fervently prayed for motorola to release the 2.2 Froyo update, which they took ages to bring out. Once it started to roll out and after I upgraded to the official Froyo release, I found out with more frustrations that it was as buggy as different mods which I applied to my phone before the Official update was available. The 2.2 update in my verdict was the worst.
My milestone had by now became a tool for experimenting with various mods from Cyanogenmod 6.2 to the latest 7.1, from the gorgeous MIUI Roms to Shadowmod Roms.
All of this mods which was made by talented developers in my opinion speaks in volume of the once awesome but no longer awesome phone i.e., the Motorola Milestone/ Droid.
Last week with nothing to rely, I brought back my phone to the original stock 2.1 (Ecclair) state in the process, losing the freedom of moving apps to the SD Card and other various upgrades with which Android is moved forward to reach a melting point with the latest ICS.
I have been using the phone in this state, and suddenly it downed on me that the Motorola Milestone/ Droid was never meant for upgrade beyond the Ecclair Flavour. The Hardware specification is too lean to allow the demand of android's hunger for more power. Inspite of numerous flavours which I tried in the phone, Inspite of slight gain of power and speed, the phone still struggled with processing media files, recording videos, taking picture, playing even simple games like Angry Birds, NFS etc, taking voice calls etc so much so that the phone will heat up to a melting point.
Never did i realised that after taking back the phone to its original Ecclair state, the phone has become so much functional that I no longer feel it necessary to experiment with the phone until I acquire a new phone. This I can happily conclude since yesterday I could play NFS and angry birds for more than 2 hours without any trouble in my phone, which I could never do for more than 2 minutes in my phone after the various upgrades. I also realised the phone is much snappier if I apply a CPU overclock, my media files plays more smoothly, pics and videos shoot without any problem and calls get through without any drops. So after all the Milestone was only meant for the Ecclair build of Android. It is much happy staying that way and tinkering with phone settings to make it look more cool will be the ultimate MILESTONE this phone will make. So here I am much more happy with Ecclair in my Milestone, I have changed the look and feel of the phone to look more trendy with Go Launcher, ICS Wallpapers, MIUI and iphone icons and overclocking the phone with Milestone Overclock Apk. And off course much happy playing some games in my spare time and hopping my phone memory does not fill out too soon.

Hello joyprsinha. Thanks for your post. I also recently got my Milestone 1 with 2.1.1 Eclair and was thinking about rooting and modding. More so for possible extra stability, apps to SD, and flash support. I experience some glitches such as random reboots, such as music player starting up when I unplug my headphones (even though I was using TuneIn Radio). However, having read your post I am now thinking twice about it. At least the overclocking option is worth a try at this point for me. Can you advise me how to go about that? Sorry for the newbie request. :( Thanks.

Back