• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola may be building a better version of the Nexus 6

Well, that makes it sound like we got the crap version.

And Droid branded? Seems Verizon is getting all the really good phones. I would have probably gotten a Droid Turbo if it wasn't Verizon exclusive.

Here's the article that BGR lifted for their sensational story, note how it's not even determined if this thing is going to be a Droid or not.

http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...t-with-snapdragon-810-exclusive-rumor.276917/

Friends don't let friends read Boy Genius. ;)

And yeah, it's been a slow news week. So far I've read that the new M9 will be N6 sized (but you should avoid it because it will have those bezels and not your favorite brand of speakers), that Samsung will continue its tradition of promising more hardware and better everything (and thank God that someone out there spares no expense at making promises) and now, next year's Motorola will feature next year's silicon.

And they get paid for writing that crap. :D

I don't know about you guys but I didn't even consider it news. Prior to the announcement of the Nexus they were talking about the Moto S code named Shamu that would be Moto's first phablet. THEN all of a sudden it became the Nexus. So I have half way expected there to be a "non-Nexus" version at some point. Classically there has been a Google version (N5) and a corporate version (LG G2) built on the same architecture. This is not a news flash as far as I am concerned. :rolleyes:

Even if everything in the *cough* news report *cough* is true, i can guarantee you three things.

1. If and when it's released it won't be exactly as reported. That's why it's called "development".
2. The author will have moved on to other controversies by then, barely remembering the article or it's supposed significance.
3. The Nexus 6 will still be a great device.

And in other "news" Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead ... :rolleyes:

I'm glad I sent the N6 back to AT&T.....
The article states its a droid brand, which means verizon exclusive.

Given even if this rumor pans out it won't be until next generation, its not anything to be concerned about for n6 owners.

The article states its a droid brand, which means verizon exclusive.
Later in the source article, they retract and say that it may not be a Droid.

Given even if this rumor pans out it won't be until next generation, its not anything to be concerned about for n6 owners.
But they can be concerned if they want.

After all, there's a strong cadre that insists that once they buy something, any future model changes represents a complete screwing over.

This meme is popular because they're under the misguided belief that new models, real or imagined, removes the pixie dust that came with the phone.

The pixie dust only leaves when it's physically damaged or develops annoying, unfixable bugs.

:)

I like for the new to wear off a little before a new model is announced.
Nothing has been announced, and likely won't be announced for 8-10 months +

Companies are working on next years device before the current device is even released . When google purchased moto they stated they had inherited 18 months of product in the pipeline that were to be released before the google inspired moto X were to hit the market.

There is always something better in the works.

Nothing has been announced, and likely won't be announced for 8-10 months +

Companies are working on next years device before the current device is even released . When google purchased moto they stated they had inherited 18 months of product in the pipeline that were to be released before the google inspired moto X were to hit the market.

There is always something better in the works.
That's exactly why I lol'd at the article passing on the rumor that next year's unannounced models with unconfirmed specs will be late because someone claimed that they overheard something about the Snapdragon 810.

When are you getting here Mr 2015 Phone? "No idea because management hasn't decided but I can say that I'm going to be twice as good in every way and I'm going to be late."

Frankly I'm feeling both happy and grateful for getting such a great bug free Nexus 6.

After reading some of the reports and not experiencing a single fault, I'm left with three overwhelming thoughts.

1) Some of these are quite possibly being nitpicked by those who dislike Google or Android.

2) The early batch sent to reviewers and customers did in fact have some bugs.

3) I and my fellow engineers at work can't be the only ones that got bug free Nexus 6 models. About eleven of us have them. None have issues.

Frankly I'm feeling both happy and grateful for getting such a great bug free Nexus 6.

After reading some of the reports and not experiencing a single fault, I'm left with three overwhelming thoughts.

1) Some of these are quite possibly being nitpicked by those who dislike Google or Android.

2) The early batch sent to reviewers and customers did in fact have some bugs.

3) I and my fellow engineers at work can't be the only ones that got bug free Nexus 6 models. About eleven of us have them. None have issues.

You can add me to that list. I am 10 days in and so far nothing to report other than smooth sailing. I mean it's not been perfect but nothing is, and everything that's been an issue, has quickly resolved itself, either user error, settings, or just simply needed to "settle in".

Mine's been everything I wanted and more, and I am sure something will come out in the next year that I will drool over, tis the nature of the beast. Motorola makes awesome devices and they will wow me again I know this to be true. But for today, tomorrow and the foreseeable future, I am thrilled with the N6 and plan to continue to be.

There will always be a "next cool phone" if there wasn't it wouldn't be any fun to be a tech geek. My N6 and Moto 360 currently fill my tech void perfectly and I am thrilled daily with how awesome they work together. I am looking forward to the growth of the ecosystem.

You can add me to that list. I am 10 days in and so far nothing to report other than smooth sailing. I mean it's not been perfect but nothing is, and everything that's been an issue, has quickly resolved itself, either user error, settings, or just simply needed to "settle in".

Mine's been everything I wanted and more, and I am sure something will come out in the next year that I will drool over, tis the nature of the beast. Motorola makes awesome devices and they will wow me again I know this to be true. But for today, tomorrow and the foreseeable future, I am thrilled with the N6 and plan to continue to be.

There will always be a "next cool phone" if there wasn't it wouldn't be any fun to be a tech geek. My N6 and Moto 360 currently fill my tech void perfectly and I am thrilled daily with how awesome they work together. I am looking forward to the growth of the ecosystem.
Congratulations, this is great news :)

Not only is it terrific to hear from you about your nice new phone, but I share your perspective as you've expressed it.

Enjoy :D

If you get a model with good hardware, be it Moto or LG or HTC or Samsung whatever, software updates will usually answer all or most of the early adopters "bugs". The perceived strength of Android is also it's biggest "weakness" - Android rolls out software as soon as it's stable...not necessarily perfect. It's up to end users to isolate, describe and ultimately help remove issues, bugs and errors. Welcome to the Android community. :)

If you in fact want something that is perceived to be close to flawless at release go to Apple and wait an extra year to 18 months to get the same functions and options Android is rolling out today. :D

And BTW - everyone - every manufacturer has lemons that something occurs in the manufacturing process. You can't hold one bad unit against an entire line. Happens in every industry. Can't be avoided.

If you in fact want something that is perceived to be close to flawless at release go to Apple and wait an extra year to 18 months to get the same functions and options Android is rolling out today. :D
I believe the "keyword" in the statement above is "perceived."

I'm mentioning this because I'm a long time Apple Customer with years of first hand experience with each and every model of iPhone up to and including my current iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.1.1. My firsthand experiences run contrary to the aforementioned statement.

Here's but one example of a problem that exists in 8.1.1 that shouldn't in such a mature OS. Upon composing a simple SMS text message and pressing send, the app locks up becoming unresponsive. The only current solution is to perform a reset of the phone. I've been working with Apple Tech Support for 25 days now, without a resolution. This is but one of several bugs and annoyances that impact and prevent smooth operation.

Make no mistake, I'm not bashing Apple, I like variety and even though my personal preference is Android, I still use iOS for some of my work. But Apple's best days seem to be behind them now that they have a vast Customer base that is tolerant and forgiving to the point of near complacency. They most certainly don't hold Apple to the standard of quality they once so reliably and consistently delivered.

Just my take on it.:)

I believe the "keyword" in the statement above is "perceived."

I'm mentioning this because I'm a long time Apple Customer with years of first hand experience with each and every model of iPhone up to and including my current iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.1.1. My firsthand experiences run contrary to the aforementioned statement.

Here's but one example of a problem that exists in 8.1.1 that shouldn't in such a mature OS. Upon composing a simple SMS text message and pressing send, the app locks up becoming unresponsive. The only current solution is to perform a reset of the phone. I've been working with Apple Tech Support for 25 days now, without a resolution. This is but one of several bugs and annoyances that impact and prevent smooth operation.

Make no mistake, I'm not bashing Apple, I like variety and even though my personal preference is Android, I still use iOS for some of my work. But Apple's best days seem to be behind them now that they have a vast Customer base that is tolerant and forgiving to the point of near complacency. They most certainly don't hold Apple to the standard of quality they once so reliably and consistently delivered.

Just my take on it.:)

Forgive me if you've already tried this but:

A hard reset and a clean install.

I had a bug on my 6 Plus in which any time I brought up the multitasking pane, the phone would "soft" crash back to the Apple logo (it wasn't a full reset, it would just crash to the logo and snap back). I tried a few things that didn't work, finally exchanged the phone. Same thing happened. That told me it had to be some kind of bug I was downloading with a saved backup. So I tried a clean install (it was painful as I hadn't had to do a clean install on an iPhone in a couple of years). Taaa daaaa...lo and behold everything was fixed, no issues.

Forgive me if you've already tried this but:

A hard reset and a clean install.

I had a bug on my 6 Plus in which any time I brought up the multitasking pane, the phone would "soft" crash back to the Apple logo (it wasn't a full reset, it would just crash to the logo and snap back). I tried a few things that didn't work, finally exchanged the phone. Same thing happened. That told me it had to be some kind of bug I was downloading with a saved backup. So I tried a clean install (it was painful as I hadn't had to do a clean install on an iPhone in a couple of years). Taaa daaaa...lo and behold everything was fixed, no issues.
Unfortunately Ive done a clean install which I thought would correct the issue since each time I've done them in the past with great success. Not this time.

Back
Top Bottom