• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving Apps to SD card

Vero60

Lurker
Hello,
I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 with an 8 GB internal storage and a 128 GB SD card. Somehow this storage has filled up faster than anything and I do not have that many apps. My old phone had only a 4 GB internal storage and I had more available space than on the J5. I was able to partially move some of my apps to my SD card, but that didn't solve my lack of space problem. So I decided to root my phone so that I could move my apps to my SD card. I rooted my phone successfully but I haven't been able to move any other applications and those that were partially moved previously are still just partially moved. In other words rooting the phone hasn't changed anything for me. Am I wrong in believing that I should be able to move my apps to the SD card if my phone is rooted? Or that I should be able to move more than just a little bit of the app (it usually moved only 1/4 of the app) and move the data to the SD card?
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Thanks Ivt.
After your advice I read a bit more and I decided to use Apps2SD as it had a partition tool as well. Though in the long run I ended up installing Aparted to partition my SD card as I was having problems with the Apss2SD partition tool. Anyway my SD card is now successfully partitioned and I have been able to move my apps to the 2nd partition on the SD card, the 40GB section. The thing that is puzzling me is this: Is it normal to not be able to see the 2nd partition? Nowhere on the phone can I find it. Every time I move an app to the SD card, the total internal storage on the phone shows more free space. The storage area show only the internal storage and the 1st partition of the SD card, the 80GB section. In the Application Manager, it shows that the app is still on the phone and shows 0.00B for SD card app. If I connect the phone to my PC, it also doesn't show the second partition.
Everything seems to be working well, I am just wondering if this is normal or whether I missed a step somewhere along the way.
Thanks.

Yes you can't see the second partition because it has been made to be invisible so other apps can't alter its data.

Back
Top Bottom