• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help multiple Contact "Device"'s?

hi all, my Galaxy Express 3 seems to have created multiple "Device" s, at least when I go Contacts, I see 8 or 9 "Device"s across the top. And my Contacts are all screwed up! Different names given to teh same phone number. Any ideas?

here ya go!

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 197
I tried to use Samsung's 'SmartSwitch" last week on my Mac and I used "sync" and I think that's when all of these "Devices" got created....
Now, I can't "undo" :mad:

Oookay, that is weird!

I don't know what those tabs at the top are supposed to be. Maybe groups, sources or categories of contacts? It's presumably a feature of the Samsung contacts app, but my only Samsung device doesn't have that.

Ah, I see that while I've been typing this you've answered the next question I had: did you do anything around the time this started?

All I can think of is editing manually. That's not too hard with contacts synced with Google (you can use a computer rather than the phone), but I'm guessing these are things that were only stored on the device? I don't know whether removing all of the contacts from one "device" will cause that category to disappear as well.

I'm also guessing you don't have a backup from before you did this sync (as then you could just clear everything and restore from the backup).

actually, I've got a lot of backups, going back to last December, all created by Samsung "SmartSwitch". What worried me about them is that they - the individual backups - don't all have the same folders, so I'm worried that re-installing one of the backups will only *partially* re-install?

You shouldn't have to go that far. If the Contacts app itself doesn't have the option to clear them then clearing data for a system app called "Contacts Storage" would do it (because the contacts aren't actually stored by the Contacts app, but by this separate app whose purpose is to make them available to any app that needs access).

But I'd go through your backups and make sure you have copies of everything you want first. Unfortunately I don't know Samsung's tools. Are you sure you don't have a cloud backup as well (if the contacts are synced with Google or Samsung you will have)? Though it's likely by now that the messed-up contacts have been synced if so, but you might be able to just edit them there and have them resync automatically.

Back
Top Bottom