• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Multitouch keyboard for froyo

Awesome. I wonder if this will be as good as using Swype. It's been pissing me off lately inserting totally wrong words and making me correct it, taking me more time than it would have taken to use the stock software keyboard or physical keyboard.

Edit: Hmm, not letting me copy/backup those 2 files with my PC using the SDK/adb. I'm a noob at using it though, so I'm sure I have to tell it to use su permissions or something somehow because it's telling me "cp: can't stat '/system/app/LatinIME.apk': No such file or directory" for that file and "cp: can't create '/system/lib/libjni_latinime.so.bak': Read-only file system" for the .so file. I want to get a backup of the original before I potentially screw them up by pushing the new files. Is he not telling us something or assuming we know what we're doing with those commands on his OP?

Edit 2: Just verified that there isn't a "LatinIME.apk" in that directory, but there's a "LatinIMEGoogle.apk" in there. Is this the file that needs to be copied/replaced? I wouldn't think he typo'd it..?

Edit 3: I got it now. I just copied the .so file with root explorer to my SD card instead and the pushed the 2 new files to the phone like he said. Now I still have the original keyboard as an input option though and when i try to use it, it FC (assuming because it can't use that same .so file as the multitouch kb). I'm sure if I take that "LatinIMEGoogle.apk" out of the apps directory, it'll get rid of it though.

This kb definitely seems more responsive than stock, but the multitouch doesn't seem to be working on mine. If I try to press 2 keys at the same time, it only registers one of them..?

Upvote 0
I absolutely LOVE Swype, but I'm always looking for improvements in functionality. Would someone mind sharing what this "multitouch keyboard" does, or how it differs from the stock keyboard?

It's like the stock keyboard, but it's faster to type on. The buttons seem a little bigger, and there's an iphone-like indication of what button you're pressing. There's a setting where you can do spell-checking with the physical keyboard as well, which I love.

It's not revolutionary like Swype is, but it's nice. I agree it needs skinned.

Upvote 0
After installing the multi-touch keyboard, my stock keyboard force closes after typing in two letters (any two letters). It will re-open and force close after another two letters.

Is anyone else having this issue? I have had it happen on both FRG01B (rooted) and Lithium Mod 1.0.12.

Well what do you know, mine does it too. That's frustrating. I'm on BB 0.4.

Is there a fix for this?

Edit: I just reinstalled BB over it. I liked the keyboard, but didn't like that it broke the other one.

Upvote 0
From Chevy's 4.7 info @ SS 4.7 - FASTER - More Statusbar Options - Music Controls ++ - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

9. IF you install the Droid2 MT Keyboard, it will replace the stock keyboard. Choose wisely.

I don't know 100% if it's the case w/all roms, but it seems to be consistent.

Thanks for quick reply and the info. I'm not really worried about not having the other keyboard. I just wanted to list it as a possibility as to why the multi-touch isn't working.
I imagine the ROM I'm using isn't fully compatible with the program. If anyone knows of a solution though, I'll be patiently waiting. :D

- I'm going to post this on the xda board as well.

Upvote 0
Are you guys sure multitouch isn't working? It's working fine in what I'm using and I've had it installed (from xda) for a while...well figuratively speaking. Try holding shift down and pressing a key. Or press "f" and then press "j".

Y'all must be using something different because it's very noticable. Try installing using the newer .zip update method. I haven't tried that way but worth a shot in case you think you screwed something up.

Backup the original lib file in case you want to return back to the ancient Droid1 keyboard :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones