• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Acclaim keeps...resetting itself?

PanicBomb

Lurker
I bought the Acclaim last year in October, and haven't really had a major problem with it until around last month. This is when the common problem of not being able to answer calls when using another app (or having too many apps in use?) because the screen locks up.

Well, that's sort of what happened just now, and it looks like it took a major effect on my phone.

I was in the middle of texting (using the Handcent SMS app), when I received a call. Phone went to black screen, didn't let me answer, screen finally went back to normal when my phone stopped ringing. Called my friend back (no answer), backed out the phone, used the Advanced App Killer Free widget to clear some space, since it was pretty laggy at this point. Got another text message from someone else, went back into Handcent, and....my phone goes straight to the Samsung "glowing letters" startup screen.

It stayed stuck there longer than normal, so I pulled the battery for a few seconds, put it back in and restarted it. Got stuck on the startup screen again. Here, I noticed that it would show the startup screen for a few minutes, go to a blank screen, and then go back to the startup screen again. Pulled the battery for five minutes, put it back, and nothing really has changed.

I have noticed that after it's been stuck on the startup screen for awhile, the screen will go blank with the touchpad buttons still lit for an extended amount of time, until I touch the phone, and then the startup screen comes up again.

Is there anyway to fix this? The phone hasn't been rooted, and I haven't upgraded from 2.1 yet. Any kind of advice/help would be very appreciated.

I would do a factory reset and at the very least upgrade to 2.2. That will speed the phone up a bit. The only way to really speed this phone up and make it workable, is to root it and load a custom rom. If you dont want to do that, then upgrade to 2.2. You dont have to do a factory reset but I HIGHLY recommend it.

EDIT: P.S. Stop using task killers...... Google it...

I had the same problem. I called US Cellular and was on the phone with them for almost 2 hrs to do the 2.2 upgrade myself with my laptop and after 2 hrs of trying to figure it out cause it wouldnt do anything I callled back only to be told that I was misinformed and there was no way I could do the update my self if the phone wont turn back on properly. Basically the phone crashed. The only thing they can do for you is send you a new one!

Back
Top Bottom