• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My first VR video with the Gear360

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    This is the Veterans Day Ceremony that was held on the Courthouse Square in our little town of Manchester, Tennessee. A little town with a lot of heart. It was a privilege to be asked to present the event as Master of Ceremonies. They just needed a pretty face out front... they couldn't find one, so they picked me...

:D

I was disappointed, though, with the wind noise! It was a brisk breeze, but this camera's microphone array made it sound like a hurricane! I'm working on a very low-tech fix for the wind noise, and I'll post the solution if it works.

Enjoy!

Reactions: psionandy
    Does it work with Cardboard or is it a Samsung thing?

I published it as a VR video, so it should work with any VR headset... or none at all. Just hold down the left mouse button on the video and drag around: left, right, fron, back, up, down, behind you!

:)

Thanks for posting...

hmm.. before you did, I was sceptical about where or why I would actually use one of these thingies....

Now that you have, I want one... I want one.. Santa can you hear me? I want one.

Santa heard you. I actually have TWO of them and I'm trying to sell one! If you're interested, PM me...

Upvote 0
    Okay, I hope this solves the problem:

I'm not sure how many Gear 360s out there are sporting an afro, but mine is! I have a VR camera with soul, baby - check out this fly guy!

I bought a wind filter for a condenser microphone, cut it to size and hot glued it over the microphone array. I tried a glue stick, but it wouldn't adhere. I hope the problem is solved, because this is pretty much a permanent fix - I'll test it out today!

Attachments

• 20180325_061240.jpg
      20180325_061240.jpg
      146.6 KB · Views: 266
    • 20180325_061302.jpg
      20180325_061302.jpg
      119.2 KB · Views: 277
    Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    Whoops! I forgot to post my results!

The test was very successful. I had the "fro" on the camera for last year's ceremony, and the wind noise is barely even perceptible in the video:

This year, stupid ME forgot the "fro"! It was very windy... and even with "Reduce wind noise" turned on in Camera Settings, the wind noise is so atrocious that I've asked the Keynote speaker for a copy of the speech so I can post it in the description. It's that bad:

So does this work? You BET it does! It works well enough that the "fro" is now permanently glued onto the camera, so I can't forget it!

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones