• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Korean SK Telecom S9+ missing features

Screenshot_20190825-225157_Camera.jpg
I bought a Korean-issued Samsung S9 Plus on eBay, SK Telecom, and was looking at some YouTube videos about tips and tricks, and noticed that I couldn't do certain things. For one thing there's no option to shoot in raw and jpeg at the same time. Are these limitations that some foreign versions appear to have something that one can correct? Would you have to root the device? Also, The Colonel on this Korean phone has a lower version number then on a different S9 I have from an American Carrier. However the software is being reported asView attachment 144130 completely updated. Is this something that should bother me? Thanks in advance.

I don't know about a Korean phone's software. It could be out of sync with a US version for several reasons, including region-dependent features (though these typically favour Korea when they exist), being based on a different SoC, or if it was a network-specific handset you may need to use that network's SIM to see updates (many US carrier handsets behave that way).

You could work around the raw+jpeg thing by using a third party app like Open Camera. That gives raw+jpeg on my Pixel, whose own camera app doesn't offer that (probably because it relies on computational photography and hence there won't be a single raw image).

On a side note, the core of the OS is called the "kernel", after the core of a seed (or of an idea), rather than being named after a military rank (it took me a few seconds to work out what you meant there ;)).

I don't know about a Korean phone's software. It could be out of sync with a US version for several reasons, including region-dependent features (though these typically favour Korea when they exist), being based on a different SoC, or if it was a network-specific handset you may need to use that network's SIM to see updates (many US carrier handsets behave that way).

You could work around the raw+jpeg thing by using a third party app like Open Camera. That gives raw+jpeg on my Pixel, whose own camera app doesn't offer that (probably because it relies on computational photography and hence there won't be a single raw image).

On a side note, the core of the OS is called the "kernel", after the core of a seed (or of an idea), rather than being named after a military rank (it took me a few seconds to work out what you meant there ;)).

Thanks for the detailed response! Much appreciated.

As to the "kernel" ... yes, of course. I was posting the message from the phone, so I could easily attach the screenshot. And sloppily using voice-to-text, it appears. Still -- it's moderately embarrassing. I'm surprised the correct word wasn't rendered given the context it's in. That seems to be happening pretty dependably with current versions of autocorrect, in my experience.

I'll try the camera suggestion, thanks again.

Ah, I'd wondered how a phonetic mis-spelling occurred :). I'd not thought of voice typing as I used that once in 2010 and not since.

I would be concerned about having a strategy for updating (for security reasons)

what is your security patch date? (on at&t, mine is 6/1/19).

will your carrier support updating this phone? I doubt it. if not, rooting might be the only way to keep up to date. rooting is possible in the exynos versions of s9+ sold outside the us, but it may also come with some problems like screwing up some banking apps, risk of errors, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom