• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help my phone is slowly destroyng the files in my sd cards

I have had this phone for a while. the problems started once I switched my archaic 2gb micro sd card for a 64gb. it works fine at first, then. after a couple of weeks, strange screeching sounds will randomly appear in my music, sometime, the entire song will start to play in slow mo after hitting the sounds which is almost scary. after a while (like 5 months), the entre card will lock itself and every attempts at adding files or deleting some will say it worked but the files will disappear and reappear after one refresh. I tried reformating everything and I am at my second 64gb micro sd card doing this.

First, where did you get the 64GB card? There are a lot of counterfeit SD cards out there and this is the kind of thing you can expect from them. If the card is legit, then it simply might be a bad card. It happens to the best of manufacturers. The S5 Neo should support cards up to 256GB so you are good there. The only other thing I can think of is that either the card isn't seated properly or there is a problem with the SD card slot itself.

Upvote 0
both were bought at best buy and I asked if it was the right kind of card first.

Are they Sandisk? Samsung? Did you replace the first one with the exact same card? I can't think of many reasons why an SD card would corrupt like that.

When the music files start to exhibit these bizarre effects, are you still able to copy the file FROM the SD card back to your PC? And if you can, do they make the same sounds when played on your PC? If you can copy the files off and they don't make noises when played from a PC then it's not the SD card. We;ll have to look elsewhere.

Reactions: tube517 and Hadron
Upvote 0
Are they Sandisk? Samsung? Did you replace the first one with the exact same card? I can't think of many reasons why an SD card would corrupt like that.

When the music files start to exhibit these bizarre effects, are you still able to copy the file FROM the SD card back to your PC? And if you can, do they make the same sounds when played on your PC? If you can copy the files off and they don't make noises when played from a PC then it's not the SD card. We;ll have to look elsewhere.
when I remove the micro sd card and play it on m ycomputer it still makes the sound ! did so both with the first card that was a kingston and the second one that was a sandisk.

Upvote 0
Then the files are getting corrupted. It's just got to be a case of coincidental bad luck with these things.

Could the phone/card be exposed to high power magnetic fields or random static shocks? The only other thing I can conceive of is an electrical problem with the circuitry of your phone, but it's odd that it starts out okay and only degrades with use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones