• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a reccomendation for a Boost phone. Using it primarily for Data.

Richie311

Lurker
I want to go with a Boost phone/plan that I plan on using pretty much entirely for data. Boost is the only carrier around my area with a 4g No contract plan so i'm kinda forced into using them even though their service around my area is quite the greatest. I plan on purchasing the phone through Amazon. Problem is I'm not sure which phone will best suit my needs. All I care about with this phone is data. I plan on rooting it and tethering it to my computer. Has anyone else done a similar situation like this? What is Boosts current stance on data tethering? I'm mostly just looking for a phone recommendation on which phone can do this for the cheapest.

Not sure on specifics but if all you want to do Is use it as a WiFi Hotspot, you might want to look at the Moto G. Great price and great phone.

You'll need a phone with 4g capabilities right? To take advantage of the fastest speeds?

I recommend going on their website and see which phones offer the 4 g feature and when you find that, then go to amazon and buy it used as they are really REALLY cheap. I think you can pick up a Moto g for like 30 dollars, however moto g only has 3 g.

Officially you have to pay extra to tether, but there are workarounds.

ZTE Speed and LG Volt are two of the cheaper Boost 4G LTE phones. You can also BYOD some Sprint 4G phones like the Galaxy S4:
http://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/#!/activate-sprint-phone

Whaa? I have an s4 my awesome cuz gave me. I'm ordering a new LCD/digitizer/frame combo to -hopefully- fix it.. The thing is, it's a Verizon phone. I've seen ways to get it over to Boost Mobile but it only has 3g capability. Is it possible to have the BYOD plan for this phone?(to get 4g working) I believe it is a clean phone not stolen or someone that skimped on their contract. And could I use my Boost Mobile sim card from my ZTE Warp 4G?
This may be a question for a different thread but could I flash a Sprint s4 rom to this phone and then do the BYOD plan? ;-)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom