• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a solution for a door problem

I could use some brainstorming from the clever folks here. I have an issue with my bedroom door and it's not the end of the world or anything, but I'd be happy to find a solution. Here's the story....

We have to keep my bedroom door open about 6" so my cats can go in and out. The door is only shut all the way when we need to keep pets safe when outside doors are being left open, like when the floors were being refinished. Otherwise, it's partially open. Our dog is much bigger than 6" across, and she has to come and go, too. The way I have it now is a makeshift do-it-yourself method: a 10-pound dumbbell inside a rolled-up bath towel (so it won't scratch the floor when it gets moved). This contraption is on the INSIDE of my room; IOW, there's a 6" space (or larger, after the dog goes in/out) that's open, with nothing between the door and its frame.

When the dog comes in/out, the contraption moves a few inches to accommodate her girth. I can't leave my door OPEN because I'm perpetually hot, and have a window AC unit plus an upright floor fan plus an upright desk fan...and if the door's open, the room doesn't stay cool enough (for me--everyone else claims it's freezing in here! :eek:).

We've also tried the opposite arrangement, i.e., the object blocking the door on the OUTSIDE of my door, between it and its frame, but quickly discarded that as it left the door wide open every time the dog came in/out.

What I'm hoping for is an ATTRACTIVE but functional permanent solution. You know how screen doors automatically close by themselves? Or doors in commercial buildings with those....pneumatic THINGS at the top, that slowly close them automatically. Something like that but pretty. And that would stop automatically at about 6" open. But could allow the door to be SHUT shut when needed. My super-clever handyman is not available right now; I *know* he could rig something like this and make it pretty, too, but he's not an option.

I've omitted WHY the current arrangement isn't good enough: every time a HUMAN comes inside my room, and then leaves, the door is wide open! They have no way from the outside to pull the contraption toward them to [partially] close the door. Yes, I thought about tying string around it and placing that under the door, but between the cats, dog, and people, that's just NOT going to work!

Any and all ideas are gratefully welcomed. Sketches, too, if you'd like to show me visually.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but what else would you expect from me?! :D

Reactions: NightAngel79
When my son was little my step son's left the door open to the cellar stairs and he fell down (thankfully after a panicked drive to the ER we confirmed only some rug burn) and I was off for a solution. What I found that worked were spring loaded door hinges (see link below, but there are numerous options). I only needed one on a three hinge door to gently swing it closed after it was opened. Also, the tension is adjustable so you can have it close as softly or as swiftly as you want.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Onward-...g-Hinge-with-1-4-in-Radius-52821NBR/202206064

I think an option like that in concert with your weight to keep the door open the minimum 6" would work and aesthetically would be invisible to the untrained eye. I suppose if someone stared at your hinges they would notice one looks different than the other. :p

Upvote 0
I like the spring hinge idea. Then just leave a shoe in the jamb space on the floor so it can’t close all the way. Kitty can come and go and it will close back against the shoe after the pooch uses it.

Still, unless it’s a really nice door, I think I’d just put a doggie door in it that fits the dog. The cat will still be able to use it and the added benefit is the soft plastic flap will better seal for temperature control, plus the opening is just at the bottom instead of the height of the door when it’s open.

Good luck, Moody, if I lived closer I’d come help. :)

Upvote 0
The spring hinge or a closer are your option to keep the door closed. To keep it partially open a cheap work-a-round would be to leave a hinge screw partially unscrewed. It will then hit the opposite hinge plate preventing the door to close completely. However, it will prevent the door from completely closing unless you tighten those screws.

A door closer could be installed incorrectly to close to a point less than completely closed. Though I've installed many closers, by instructions they will close the door completely. Changing the relationship as to the pivot arm to the closer cylinder directly influences the point of where the closer considers it's closed. I would never attempt installing a closer on a door without a great deal of experimentation to attempt to achieve a six inch opening. And even if I could accomplish that, I fear that forcing the door closed beyond that six inch space might cause a negative effect on the hydraulic cylinder closing mechanism.

Hold open closers are available. However, all that I have ever installed held the door open at it's max open position. Only a little closing pressure then overrides the hold open and the closer works as designed and closes the door.

If you hire a clever carpenter, he could put a slight bevel on the hinge side of your door before installing spring hinges. They are designed to close at 180°. A bevel on the door at hinge would fool the hardware.

Another thought... without a bevel on the door edge, the very same could be accomplished by loosening the screws at the jamb and door and inserting a paper shim between the back side of the hinge and then tighten the screws. Anything to fool the hinge as to what is 180° will work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the great ideas so far!

@Unforgiven, Home Depot and I are really good friends! I looked at the link you posted and thought, hmmmm...that might be it. :) And you even chose brushed nickel--which is what all of my new fixtures/hardware are!

I'm taking each idea and mulling it over. The doggy door idea....well....no, I just wouldn't want that aesthetic in my house. It does make sense--a lot, actually, what with keeping the room cooler and so on--but I wouldn't be happy with its look. I've never had an actual doggy door for two reasons: my dogs were bigger than a lot of people (Great Danes), and if THEY could go in and out, so could a burglar! Plus my cats are always indoor only, so it was never an option.

Thanks again. Let's see if any other ideas come along.

@rootabaga, I wish you did live closer. I'd love to meet in person. :) And I'd appreciate the help. It's times like these I wish I just knew more about household stuff--I can't even successfully hang a picture on a wall! Seriously, if I hang anything that weighs more than a couple of ounces, down it goes! Leaving a gaping hole in the wall, too. :eek:

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
It's times like these I wish I just knew more about household stuff--I can't even successfully hang a picture on a wall! Seriously, if I hang anything that weighs more than a couple of ounces, down it goes! Leaving a gaping hole in the wall, too. :eek:
I reccomend these for general purpose drywall hanging (pictures and such, not TV's or shelves). No tools to install, minimal damage to patch and paint if you remove them, and work really well.
https://www.amazon.com/Picture-Hang...la-878074381807&ref=&adgrpid=73789135570&th=1

Upvote 0
I reccomend these for general purpose drywall hanging (pictures and such, not TV's or shelves). No tools to install, minimal damage to patch and paint if you remove them, and work really well.
https://www.amazon.com/Picture-Hang...la-878074381807&ref=&adgrpid=73789135570&th=1
Thanks, they look promising. I'm just so sure at this point in my life (I've passed the mid-60 hump :eek:) that I'm completely inept when it comes to *successfully* hanging anything more than two ounces, I doubt I'll even try. They're intriguing, though... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones