• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help finding a Headset

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
Hi all
I never bought a headset for pc gaming before, so I need some help.
I want something soffisticated and unique but do not want to pay much more than $200. But I have some requirements that need to be met and others that I want to be met.

Here is what I would need,
Something wireless because I hate wires, and would prefer to charge it when not in use.
Something that can be used as a mic while recording gameplay with DXTory - this is a must, I want to get into , making gaming videos on youtube and being able to talk on the mic while playing skyrim or other games is something I would like, because I dont want to buy a separate snowball mic.
Ill add more as I think of them.

Might want to have a look at this Logitech G930. Seems like a good deal.
Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound: Electronics
Although I think 7.1 surround with headphones might be a bit of a gimmick.

I use a Logitech QuietComfort USB headset myself, although this one is wired rather than wireless. Use it for Skype and recording presentation voice overs, rather than gaming, but I think the requirements are similar. Keeps the external noise out, while giving good SQ. It can be rather noisy in our office sometimes(students), and so I do find a noise cancelling mic is a nice thing to have.

BTW don't go for any Bluetooth headsets, or you'll likely sound like crap. The BT headset profile was intended just for telephony, and you'll sound like you're on a phone call.

Snowball type mics can give very good SQ. However most of the decent ones like the venerable Shure SM58 use XLR connectors, so you'll at least need a pre-amp to use with a PC. Same goes for most semi-pro and pro level performance and DJ type mics. Other things with a snowball mic you'll need a stand as well, you don't really want to be holding it all the time, not unless you're singing at karaoke or doing a live show LOL.

Reactions: sfbloodbrother
Upvote 0
Try this review,

The Best Cheap Bluetooth Headphones | Gizmodo UK

Note:Bluetooth transmits data(
Version 2.0 + EDR 3 Mbit/s >80 kbit/s) and the Bluetooth in modern devices is very capable of transmitting good quality and the quality of reproduction will be determined by the headphones.

Also when you find something you fancy look for it in Amazon as they have user reviews so you can make a more informed decision.

For not much more than,"Pocket Change" you could try a set of these to get going,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-W...83686686&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+headphones

Decent reviews for the price.

HTH :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

• The type of headset has powerful function, which can make you enjoy music you like with high stereo fidelity effect.
  • It comes with a built-in microphone, that can make you communicate with your friend wirelessly.
I recognise the prose...... SourcingBay Ltd, Shenzhen, China. They're probably OK for the price. I got a cheapo Bluetooth speaker I bought in Shenzhen a few months ago, it's actually quite good.

Although BT is capable of high quality stereo reproduction using the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), i.e. listening to music. But when one is speaking with BT headphones using the mic, it's using what's known as the HeadSet Profile (HSP). Which was intended for telephony.

To get technical courtesy of the Wiki..."This is the most commonly used profile, providing support for the popular Bluetooth Headsets to be used with mobile phones. It relies on SCO for audio encoded in 64 kbit/s CVSD or PCM." It is limited bandwidth and quality 300Hz to 3.4kHz, 8-bit encoding. ...i.e. you'll sound like you're on a telephone call. This may not be too desirable if you wish to sound good recording game video commentary. Think that is @sfbloodbrother's (the OP) intention.

I have a friend who sometimes uses stereo BT headphones for Skype with his PC, but when he's using them it does sound like telephone quality, rather than the high quality sound that Skype is normally capable of.

Upvote 0
I've used a Logitech 600 for years. (Had one replaced under warranty because the power connector went bad. No hassle.) They're light, comfortable after a few hours, good quality phones and mic. (Of course my 71 year old ears can't tell the difference hetween hi-fi and mumbling, so take that with a few grains of salt.) Oh, and nowhere near $200. For that kind of money I'd buy Senheiser and a helium balloon to hold them up).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones