• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help sideloading apps on Kindle Fire

ann124

Lurker
I bought my mom a Kindle Fire 8 HD for Mother's Day. I wanted to install google hangouts so she can make phone calls. I understand that I have to sideload apps. In order to download the correct version of these apps, I need to know exactly what version of android my Kindle Fire is running. I have no idea how to figure this out, except that on my device it says I'm running version Fire OS 5.1.2 which in no way tells me what main version of android it is configured to.

Fire OS is based on Android, but that's where it diverts from the standards. I doubt you can get Google apps to install correctly on Fire OS. What you can do with the fire is to root it and flash a custom version of Android. I used this guy's tutorial to root and flash SlimRom to a couple of Fire 7 tablets around the holidays. Not sure of the same method works for the 8 HD but it looks like it's compatible with the root tool at least.

Back
Top Bottom