• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help with a new to me Nexus 6 that is rooted

Just purchased a rooted Nexus 6 that has a stock 5.1 ROM installed. Comes with Super SU installed as well.

I'm getting the notification that won't go away for the 5.1.1 update. Was told it had the latest update before purchasing.

What I'd like to know is what is the best way to get that update. I've messaged the seller but haven't heard back anything about which ROM is on there. I can tell it's a little buggy but other than that, no clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

If you go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > & list everything from the Android version/Baseband version/Kernel version/Build number,perhaps someone here can identify exactly what ROM is on your phone.

Sorry. I should have done that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-10-22-56-06.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-10-22-56-06.png
    352.8 KB · Views: 146
Since you're not 100% sure what you have (the entire ROM as per factory installation),I'd go about flashing the original firmware intended for your carrier & then proceed to update/ROOT/ROM as desired.
You should be able to flash the latst firmware that is compatible w/your carrier,instead of the actual original & waiting for OTA update prompts.
I myself am on T-Mobile & went from the most updated stock (rooted) ROM for T-Mobile & flashed the ANDROID M preview build & back again w/no problems.
As others have stated for years,Nexus devices are pretty hard to brick,you may be able to update OTA what you have,not knowing if everything is there,with no problems,but,I'd definitely ask around/wait for some confirmation on that before proceeding.

Do you want it rooted?

IMO since its a rooted phone that was someone elses, I'd be flashing the stock factory image before anything else. That way you know its the stock software and nothing else - root allows things to survive the factory reset. Its probably overly cautious, but you don't know what may have been installed on there.

If you are unfamiliar with adb/fastboot the nexus root toolkit is probably the best way to go. Have it flash the factory image/unroot first, and if you want root, let it do it after that.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Back
Top Bottom