• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New case/battery combo

San Antone RR

Walked into a TMob shop to get a screen protector. Asked if they had an extended battery for it and the guy showed me this:
HTC myTouch 4G PowerSkin Battery Case | PowerSkin
$49.99
It is a silicone case with a 1500mAh battery that is enclosed in the back. Covers back and sides with no coverage on the front. Using a factory TMob screen protector. Gonna get a Zagg Invisible Shield for the front.

Back to the case: silicone, has a micro USB plug on a 90 degree bend that sits under the case. Makes a 3/8" lump on the side of the case. The batt and lump on the side add a little bulk, but nothing crazy. The cable to charge the batteries actually plugs into the right side of the case. I use the Motorola 90degree adapter and it takes some real force to plug it into the case so that it makes contact. The case has 4 blue LEDs that flash when it charges; have to really muscle the 90 in to make contact. With the straight plug, it slid in and contacted easily. It's probably going to trash the 90 before long.

My batt was at 75% when I plugged it in. It did not charge until I turned the case on with a little pressure switch on the back. If you leave it off, it will run on just the phone batt and leave the case batt circuit open. This keeps the secondary batt from discharging so you aren't left without. When you plug the micro USB in, the batt on the phone charges first and when the phone gets to 100%, it automatically switches to charging the secondary. Pretty cool circuitry here.

I normally have to charge by 3PM or so each day. I will test drive this thing for a couple of days and let you guys know how it works throughout the course of the day.

Old news! Might want to change the title of this thread. This has been out for some time now (months).

Btw Enjoy that fugly bump out on the usb port where that power skin connects to the phone...booty!

Back
Top Bottom