• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

newbie cannot connect phone to android studio

Odd Rain

Just installed android studio on windows 8.1.
Then I connected a phone to the PC and turn on developer debug option.
No device is listed next to the app drop down. I enter troubleshoot device connection and click rescan device. It list a bunch of USB devices including the phone under the heading "found 19 usb devices not recognized as android devices".
I tried 3 different phones:
hwawei G620, oneplus one, oneplus 5T
They all result in the same scenerio -- appear in the non android devices list. All these devices have been able to transfer files to/from the PC before turning on the debug option.
What should I try next?

Likely you need to tell your phone to use file transfer instead of charge in the USB settings. just connect the phone and swipe down and choose the charge option then change it to file transfer.

I installed android studio on a laptop running win10 and it connects and runs the test app on the huawei without a hitch, but I still want to make it work on my desktop PC running win8.1

So the problem is not with the phone or the usb cable. No idea what to do next.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Windows problem I don't think there is support for Windows 8.1anymore. I like to develop using Linux. Any chance you would install Debian 10 instead? Not a pretty O/S but it is great for developing software.

Back
Top Bottom