• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie needs help with facebook checkins

kris214

Lurker
Aug 6, 2011
Hello all. I have an irritating problem with facebook checkins. Basically I go to check in and am greeted with a list of places nearby to me including my home as it was created by my other half. This makes checking in there very quick indeed as its usually top of the list when I'm there. My problem though is when I go to check in somewhere the place I'm looking to check in to isn't in the nearby list. No biggie I simply go to create a new place, enter a name and description etc and then I'm able to check in there. My gripe is though my newly created location doesn't seem to get saved and if I wish to check in there again I have to add it again. Its very annoying.

Is there a way where I can create a new place and actually have it saved so when I'm back in that area again it will appear in the places nearby list so I can just tap it and check in rather than having to add a place etc?

I use a few facebook apps that can allow checkin etc. Currently have facebook for android, FriendCaster and hTC Friend Stream. I tend to use Friendstream most often for check in as its on my home screen so its just a matter of tapping the check in icon but I have also used the others for checking in but again my new check in doesn't get saved to nearby places.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

if you use the facebook app specifically, are your check-ins there? those saved under facebook may not be accessable via friendstream... not 100%, i only use facebook and have never had that problem with my check-ins..

Hi and thanks for the quick reply,

No there not, the list I get up in the facebook app are exactly the same as what appears via friendstream. I have noticed though that in the facebook app if I search manually for my new place it will appear but only when I type the full name, not just the first few letters. Ideally I'd like them to appear in the nearby list so its just a matter of tapping it and checking in rather than having to search manually for it or even adding it again.

Upvote 0
your list of places depends on where you are and how many people have added a place in that area. if i'm not mistaken, places just don't pop up, someone has to initially add it.. places like mcdonald's, best buy, etc... if no one has ever checked into that specific place before, it won't show up... and lastly, how's your gps? check it under google maps and see how accurate it is... just suggestions...

Upvote 0
your list of places depends on where you are and how many people have added a place in that area. if i'm not mistaken, places just don't pop up, someone has to initially add it.. places like mcdonald's, best buy, etc... if no one has ever checked into that specific place before, it won't show up... and lastly, how's your gps? check it under google maps and see how accurate it is... just suggestions...

This could well be the case but in my nearby list I get other peoples homes, beds and even bonfires lol. Shame there isn't a way to save or even pull up your most used places.

My GPS is very accurate too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones