• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 10 + Lollipop = Paperweight

Biaviians

Lurker
The title says it all. My N10 is a paperweight with lollipop installed. It takes over 2 minutes for ANYTHING to open and then even longer for the stuff inside the app to render. This was the OTA update. I'm thinking of manually flashing the stock image to see if that helps things. Has anybody else noticed an issue with the OTA update? I searched Google and didn't see reports of the issue.

I would agree, before a flash of the factory image (I assume an earlier than 5.0 version) I would do a FDR.

Oh absolutely I'd do a factory reset first. I did a factory reset without a new flash and that helped a bit but I still get many forced closes and the tablet just turns off. Then again I have that with my n6 too.

Today I'll do another reset and then a clean flash. I'm not liking the instability of lollipop.

I had done a reset for some other issues I was having and then the next day, Lollypop shows up. I did the upgrade and my Nex 10 is running great.

i factory reset mine just before updating because 1) it was laggy and full of crap 2) i heard nasty stories of things getting worse if i didn't and 3) mine wouldn't even see the OTA until i factory reset and cleared data from Play Services

It's marginally better than KitKat (which, after the features were ever-so-kindly stripped out by Google, was just Jelly Bean with white status bar icons) since it has ART now, but all the good stuff for the most part remains stripped out. no transparent bars, no launcher, and so on. it's still neutered Lollipop.

Google's support for the N10 has so far been nothing short of abysmal for reasons unknown, to the point that i might trade it in for a Nexus 9 next Spring hoping it isn't neutered anymore.

The KitKat release was such a disappointment i actually got so angry that i tried smashing the thing. i tried everything, from slamming it sideways attempting to break the screen, to stomping it with my foot. didn't put a scratch on it!

It's built so solid, and is a decent piece of hardware, so why on earth does Google hate it so much? they treat it as if it were the Nexus Q (another underrated tech)

I think it, for Google, is just a hard piece to sell an upgrade for. If it were not neutered and ran as well as with CM11 why would people upgrade? The device itself, as you have found out, is a tank and can be a very well running tank at that.

Form this reason I have no reservations of just waiting for the custom ROM. This is the great thing about the Android environment we have choices.

Back
Top Bottom