• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 4 stuck at X - ADB & Fastboot not working

Hi Guys,

Will to live lost here! I've spent upwards of 12 hours over 3 days trying to work through things without resorting to asking for help...but I'm done.

I couldn't afford a new phone so I'm still on my Nexus 4 and the OS it came with, bought from the google store.

I'm not a fan of updates as in my experience they tend to break things. And so that is how I've gone 5+ years without updating the OS, ignoring the OTA notification from the menu all this time.

Suddenly the lock screen starting behaving a little weird. I managed to get in but then out of nowhere the phone rebooted and was suddenly updating to I imagine 4.3.

It never made it, just looping the progress bar for hours on end. Cue the start of research. I found my way to this thread (forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/300300-nexus-4-stuck-after-4-3-update-fail-even-after-hard-reset.html) amongst many others and began attempting the following.

I tried the bootloader > recovery > cache clear but no difference.
I didn't want to resort to factory reset as I need my apps & would like to rescue the messages.

The particular advice I read was to download Unified Nexus Toolkit, TWRP, Android Studio for SDK & USB drivers, 4.3 image from google (or 4.2.2 or any more up to date and supported one, whichever I wish). I thought 4.3 would be a good start.

UNT though alerted Avira to a particular Trojan, so I left that considering that part was supposedly only for backing up data. And apparently I could carry on to flashing just bootloader/radio/boot/recovery/system img files without losing data.

Now to my brickwall. The advice said to extract both the TWRP & 4.3 mako file to the SDK platform-tools folder, which I did. However it said the TWRP file was supposed to be a IMG file to flash (via ADB or fastboot?), but it was an APK file.

Simply then this is where I'm at. Despite downloading USB Drivers from within the SDK Manager I cannot get the Powershell to respond to "adb devices", or "fastboot devices" queries. So I cannot get to even trying to flash 4.3 images despite the bricked Nexus 4 showing up in my device manager as "Android Composite ADB Interface".

There were some other pieces of advice, but after reading so many things most of which only partially relate to my problem, and after having to borrow another laptop to try this stuff on as mine doesn't even load .exe files amongst other problems....overall I'm just deaded out and need a helping hand if possible.

So thank you for reading this lump of info about an old device. And if you can offer any help it would be much much appreciated.

Hi Guys,

Will to live lost here! I've spent upwards of 12 hours over 3 days trying to work through things without resorting to asking for help...but I'm done.

I couldn't afford a new phone so I'm still on my Nexus 4 and the OS it came with, bought from the google store.

I'm not a fan of updates as in my experience they tend to break things. And so that is how I've gone 5+ years without updating the OS, ignoring the OTA notification from the menu all this time.

Suddenly the lock screen starting behaving a little weird. I managed to get in but then out of nowhere the phone rebooted and was suddenly updating to I imagine 4.3.

It never made it, just looping the progress bar for hours on end. Cue the start of research. I found my way to this thread (forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/300300-nexus-4-stuck-after-4-3-update-fail-even-after-hard-reset.html) amongst many others and began attempting the following.

I tried the bootloader > recovery > cache clear but no difference.
I didn't want to resort to factory reset as I need my apps & would like to rescue the messages.

The particular advice I read was to download Unified Nexus Toolkit, TWRP, Android Studio for SDK & USB drivers, 4.3 image from google (or 4.2.2 or any more up to date and supported one, whichever I wish). I thought 4.3 would be a good start.

UNT though alerted Avira to a particular Trojan, so I left that considering that part was supposedly only for backing up data. And apparently I could carry on to flashing just bootloader/radio/boot/recovery/system img files without losing data.

Now to my brickwall. The advice said to extract both the TWRP & 4.3 mako file to the SDK platform-tools folder, which I did. However it said the TWRP file was supposed to be a IMG file to flash (via ADB or fastboot?), but it was an APK file.

Simply then this is where I'm at. Despite downloading USB Drivers from within the SDK Manager I cannot get the Powershell to respond to 'adb devices', or 'fastboot devices' queries. So I cannot get to even trying to flash 4.3 images despite the bricked Nexus 4 showing up in my device manager as 'Android Composite ADB Interface'.

There were some other pieces of advice, but after reading so many things most of which only partially relate to my problem, and after having to borrow another laptop to try this stuff on as mine doesn't even load .exe files amongst other problems....overall I'm just deaded out and need a helping hand if possible.

So thank you for reading this lump of info about an old device. And if you can offer any help it would be much much appreciated.

Biiiigg question: Which Windows distro are ya using? If it's Win10, I may have a solution.. If not, we need look in another direction

Hi bcrichster. Thanks for getting involved!

The gf's laptop, the one being used is indeed Windows 10.
(I'm the luddite still on Vista!)

Hi bcrichster. Thanks for getting involved!

The gf's laptop, the one being used is indeed Windows 10.
(I'm the luddite still on Vista!)

OK! Your driver installation is being blocked at the last second (watch the info carefully when installing), it'll say something like 'Driver installation unsuccessful' and close at the same time. Look here @ post #34 for your fix:

OK! Your driver installation is being blocked at the last second (watch the info carefully when installing), it'll say something like 'Driver installation unsuccessful' and close at the same time. Look here @ post #34 for your fix:
Unless I'm being an absolute dunce that thread only goes up to #18?! It ends with your comment about UEFI...is that what you mean?

One thing I didn't do is restart the computer after installing everything. Not sure if it will help but when I get back to it tomorrow I'll check it again.

The other thing is that the dialogue box did confirm that the driver install was successful and didn't disappear.

As an aside and just in case anything is material I'll clarify some of my process. At first I thought using the SDK Manager to get USB drivers would be enough. After things didn't work I got to some other threads about updating drivers through the device manager, choosing 'have disk' etc and navigating to the extras/google folder. (And to do this separately for both ADB & fastboot functionality). After choosing that destination, the dialogue box didn't have any drivers to choose from other than 'Android Composite ADB Interface', which was there from the start anyway. When I toggled off the 'compatible...' tick box, there were multiple other options...yet if I remember rightly they were also there anyway before I navigated to the google folder.

Thanks for helping. From what I've read I think I've done what I need to along the way, and have tried to explain well my process. But if you spot any flaws or need to question anything please do!

Unless I'm being an absolute dunce that thread only goes up to #18?! It ends with your comment about UEFI...is that what you mean?

One thing I didn't do is restart the computer after installing everything. Not sure if it will help but when I get back to it tomorrow I'll check it again.

The other thing is that the dialogue box did confirm that the driver install was successful and didn't disappear.

As an aside and just in case anything is material I'll clarify some of my process. At first I thought using the SDK Manager to get USB drivers would be enough. After things didn't work I got to some other threads about updating drivers through the device manager, choosing 'have disk' etc and navigating to the extras/google folder. (And to do this separately for both ADB & fastboot functionality). After choosing that destination, the dialogue box didn't have any drivers to choose from other than 'Android Composite ADB Interface', which was there from the start anyway. When I toggled off the 'compatible...' tick box, there were multiple other options...yet if I remember rightly they were also there anyway before I navigated to the google folder.

Thanks for helping. From what I've read I think I've done what I need to along the way, and have tried to explain well my process. But if you spot any flaws or need to question anything please do!
oops, you're right. I was looking at the wrong nuber, Lol

Back
Top Bottom