• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 vs Moto G 3rd Gen

mols

This is all based on a $200 budget. Initially, I was aiming for a Moto G with 16GB of storage (2GB RAM). My main reasons included the fact that it came with practically stock Android and that it would get updates for quite a while. It also has a decent performance, having 1.4 GHz (compared to the 1.2 GHz of most other budget devices) and 2GB of RAM, since I was going for the 16GB model. I also liked the waterproof capabilities and customization via Moto Maker. However, on a whim, I found that on Amazon, there were deals for a new Nexus 5 from the US at around the same price. A couple of immediate disadvantages popped out, however, which included lack of expandable storage and the fact that it is a relatively old phone. I'm not sure about software support, but going from the Nexus 4, which got KitKat and Lollipop after its original Jelly Bean, I believe that Marshmallow will be the Nexus 5's last supported update. I'm pretty sure that the Moto G will get at least another update. Of course, I have seen guides for "expanding" the Nexus 5's storage with USB OTG and getting Cyanogenmod, but in the case of the latter, I am only somewhat experienced with this. Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything I'm saying or tell me how feasible the measures I've mentioned really are. I'd love for someone to sway my position, I would really like to break the tie that I have created!

The snapdraggon 800 processor in the Nexus will be quite a bit snappier than the 410 in the Moto G. Looks like you'll have to set some priorities and figure out which one's best. Yes, I also figure marshmallow would be the last for the Nexus, but also if you want something aftermarket cyanogenmod will likely be around for quite a while. Or you can go with someone else's version of a later OS that comes out.

The snapdraggon 800 processor in the Nexus will be quite a bit snappier than the 410 in the Moto G. Looks like you'll have to set some priorities and figure out which one's best. Yes, I also figure marshmallow would be the last for the Nexus, but also if you want something aftermarket cyanogenmod will likely be around for quite a while. Or you can go with someone else's version of a later OS that comes out.
Yeah, the presence of the SD 800 is a plus for me. It's one of the main reasons I would prefer the Nexus. However, I really want to see a real (not benchmarked) direct speed comparison between the two. Something like
But I felt that there was something wrong with that comparison; for some reason, I feel that the speed comparison was flawed somehow. I'm sure that the SN 800 is faster than the 410 (although the 410 is 64 bit and the 800 is not). If there isn't, though, I'd like to know. Something that also conerns me is extra features. While the N5 is I think, static in this regard, the Moto G 2015 seems to have more liberal features such as Moto Maker customization and the Moto software things. Additionally, how feasible is using OTG as storage? That's also another concern I have about the N5. But the primary reason I would like the N5 would be performance. Do its advantages outweigh its shortcomings (at least compared to the Moto G 2015)?
Currently, I have an LG Optimus L90 (D415), and I would like a slightly bigger screen. I think it would be safe to say that the N5 and Moto G have about the same size. Please correct me if I make any wrong assertion and I'd like to find an answer.;

There should be some published benchmark data you can find out there. That test doesn't look scientific at all. As far as 32 vs 64bit, i'm not sure why that would be a big deal considering both "only" have 2GB of RAM. The original Moto X was touted as being very efficient with its processors, allowing it to outperform in speed and battery consumption compared to more capable handsets. This may have transferred well to the current G. For OTG, I can't comment because I do not have high memory requirements. I have the 16GB version of the N5 and right now I have 6.66GB free. That's with 2GB of music that I just put on it last week.

There should be some published benchmark data you can find out there. That test doesn't look scientific at all. As far as 32 vs 64bit, i'm not sure why that would be a big deal considering both "only" have 2GB of RAM. The original Moto X was touted as being very efficient with its processors, allowing it to outperform in speed and battery consumption compared to more capable handsets. This may have transferred well to the current G. For OTG, I can't comment because I do not have high memory requirements. I have the 16GB version of the N5 and right now I have 6.66GB free. That's with 2GB of music that I just put on it last week.
Now I think you have me back on the Nexus 5 track! That was actually a good point you said with memory. My current phone has 8GB of onboard storage and I also have an 8GB SD card. The internal storage is nearly full, but the SD Card still has plenty of space. Of course, the N5 "merges" the two (to get 16GB onboard) so that all is internal and all 16GB are equally treated. Not really much (unless I somehow want to be super liberal with my usage). You've also confirmed my concerns that the test was flawed, and so I am now fine with processors, especially the 32 vs 64 bit thing. I am aware the G has a better camera, but honestly, I don't really care about camera quality. Pretty much the sole concern I have right now is the battery. If I get the N5, the battery will have 2300 mAh, compared to the 2540 that I have right now and the 2470 on the G. Something I noticed was that the N5 has a Li-Po battery, while the others have a Li-Ion battery. Does this mean anything? Is there actually a substantial difference in battery life this way?

I wouldn't worry about Li-Po vs Li-Ion because 1. they both likely use Li-Po in order to fit in the shape, and 2. They're essentially the same chemically. You can think of Li-Po as a subset of Li-Ion since it's really "Lithium-ion polymer." The only thing is that the Nexus 5 you get will be at least a year old since manufacture and so would the battery. I'm less-than-impressed with my battery performance on the N5.

I wouldn't worry about Li-Po vs Li-Ion because 1. they both likely use Li-Po in order to fit in the shape, and 2. They're essentially the same chemically. You can think of Li-Po as a subset of Li-Ion since it's really "Lithium-ion polymer." The only thing is that the Nexus 5 you get will be at least a year old since manufacture and so would the battery. I'm less-than-impressed with my battery performance on the N5.
Alright, I'm probably going with the Nexus! Do you have any suggestions for tackling the battery issues?

Some people get custom ROMs to try to help, but I think Doze would work better than any of those. I'm not sure there's a way to get better screen-on-time. That's the killer. I'm lucky to get 2 hours of SOT. Only 1 hour if it's a game. It seemed to have halved when going from KitKat to Lollipop, and Marshmallow SOT isn't any better.

Some people get custom ROMs to try to help, but I think Doze would work better than any of those. I'm not sure there's a way to get better screen-on-time. That's the killer. I'm lucky to get 2 hours of SOT. Only 1 hour if it's a game. It seemed to have halved when going from KitKat to Lollipop, and Marshmallow SOT isn't any better.
Well, I've ordered a Nexus 5 and it should be coming by Tuesday. I'll hope for the best! Funny how you mention Marshmallow's little improved SOT, though, since I've seen many others that say the opposite.

I haven't seen anyone say MM has improved SOT. Only that they get a little more from Doze's savings. I have noticed improved SOT by switching off Google's Hot Word detection, but that's not Lollipop/MM specific.

Back
Top Bottom